Connect with us

Celebrities

Screening Of Ministerial Nominees Won’t Be Business As Usual – Saraki

Published

on

 

The Senate will on Wednesday decide the procedure for screening ministerial nominees submitted to it by President Muhammadu Buhari.

The Senate Leader, Ali Ndume, who said this in an exclusive interview with one of our correspondents on Thursday in Abuja, assured Nigerians that the screening of ministerial nominees would not be delayed by the upper legislative chamber.

Ndume said that the screening by the Senate would be thorough just as the nomination process adopted by the Presidency was.

He said, “The communication from Mr. President, which contains the list of the ministerial nominees and which remained sealed as I am talking to you, will be opened by the Senate President as soon as we resume plenary on Tuesday.

“It will appear on the Order Paper on Wednesday morning and the Senate will set up the necessary legislative procedure for the screening exercise. I wish to assure Nigerians that the screening exercise will be thorough just the way the nomination process was thorough.”

The Senate President, Bukola Saraki, had on Wednesday confirmed receipt of the ministerial nominees list from the Presidency.

Already media speculations had indicated that 21 names were contained in the list and that a former Lagos State governor, Babatunde Fashola; and a former Rivers State governor, Rotimi Amaechi, made it.

Also said to be on the list are Kayode Fayemi, a former governor of Ekiti State; a former governor of Anambra State, Chris Ngige; and a one-time governor of Abia State, Ogbonaya Onu, among others.

Saraki also on Thursday said the process of lawmaking in Nigeria would no longer be business as usual.

He said he would ensure that the National Assembly under his leadership was people-oriented.

The Senate president spoke in an interview with State House correspondents shortly after taking part in an event to mark the country’s 55th independence anniversary inside the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He said,

“I am hopeful and confident that the future is very bright. In the next few years, things will be even better.
“It will not be business as usual. We will ensure that the National Assembly will be people-oriented and will make laws that will make impact on Nigerians.”

In a separate interview, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmud Mohammed, said the nation had been progressing on the right path.

“We will make it by the grace of God. We are on the right path,” he said.

Celebrities

VeryDarkMan recalls time in detention, calls out Tonto Dikeh, Iyabo Ojo and Samklef

Published

on

By

Martins ‘VeryDarkMan’ Otse, the controversial social media critic, has called out actresses Tonto Dikeh and Iyabo Ojo — a few days after being released from police detention.

On May 22, Otse was arraigned at the federal high court in Abuja on five counts bordering on cyberstalking.

One of the charges alleged that the defendant posted videos on his Instagram handle containing information that was “grossly offensive, pornographic or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character”.

In another charge, the defendant was said to have alleged that Iyabo Ojo was having an indecent sexual relationship with her daughter, even though he knew that the information was false.

Police further claimed that the defendant alleged that Tonto Dikeh “is behind the gossip blog Gistlover”.

However, the social media celebrity pleaded not guilty to all the charges and was released on bail on June 10.

In a lengthy video via his Instagram page on Friday, Otse recounted his ordeal while in custody.

The activist said he would keep working with the police but called on the law enforcement agency to stop paying attention to online gossip.

Otse also attacked Iyabo Ojo, arguing that she called his parents “abusive names” and expected him not to retaliate.

The social media celebrity insisted that Tonto Dikeh “is behind Gistlover”, alleging that the anonymous blog stopped calling out people since his claim.

“I have five counts against me. Samklef, Tonto Dikeh, Iyabo Ojo and of course the police. If you remember the first time I was detained, I talked something about the DIGs and I was taken to the inspector general of police,” he said partly in the lengthy video.

“When I got there, this man spoke to me like a son, he did not act like someone who had the power to do and undo. He told me to fight for something good and if you have a problem, bring my petition and he will sign it.

“And I told him that if I bring a petition to the police, they always take time and sometimes they do not respond. He said from today, bring your petition and if they do not do it, come to me.”

Continue Reading

Celebrities

Nedu Wazobia rejects Yvonne Jegede’s claims that he hates women

Published

on

By

Jegede over his recent comments about her public apology, media personality Nedu Wazobia has refuted her claims that he ‘hates women.’

On June 13, 2024, the media personality posted a video to his Instagram addressing the backlash he had received over comments on his show The Honest Bunch Podcast. After being called ‘small-minded’ and toxic by the actress, Nedu debunked the claim that he hates women.

He said, “In the past episodes, I may have said some things that may have riled up some people and made you think that I hate women. I don’t hate women, I don’t. My manager is a woman, I’ve got 3 beautiful daughters and pretty much everyone around me is a woman so I don’t know where that thinking is coming from.”

Nedu emphasised that the essence of his podcast is for the guests to feel free enough to be honest and transparent.

He added, “I hear some of the conversations you people have, I don’t hate women. If you’re watching my podcast, please watch with an open mind and understand that you are watching a podcast called The Honest Bunch that would be as honest as possible no matter how uncomfortable the truth may be. The truth needs to be said.”

This comes after the dispute between him and Jegede following her appearance on the show where the actress defended Yul Edochie’s choice to embrace polygamy and take a second wife. After the backlash, she promptly apologised to Edochie’s ex-wife, May, for trivialising her pain.

After that, Nedu posted a shady message on Instagram saying, “If you talk, use your chest to stand by your words. Still, Number 1.” Jegede then called him out on Instagram in a lengthy post that same day.

Continue Reading

Celebrities

Actress Shan George comments on feud between Nedu Wazobia, Yvonne Jegede

Published

on

By

Amid the ongoing feud between Nollywood actress, Yvonne Jegede, and media personality, Nedu Wazobia, actress, Shan George, has weighed in on the issue.

In a video she posted on Instagram on June 13, 2024, George addressed the rift between Jegede and Nedu, offering her perspective on the situation and highlighting perceived faults from both parties.

She began, “You see this Nedu and Yvonne Jegede matter, the truth is that you have a right to speak out, stand to be corrected and apologise when you offend. This is what Yvonne has done and there is no need to escalate the issue.”

The actress stressed that in her opinion, Nedu was only doing his job by asking Jegede questions on the controversial episode of The Honest Bunch Podcast which recently aired. She also emphasised that the subsequent escalation and rift between the pair was unnecessary because Jegede already apologised for her comments.

“What Nedu has done is his job and his own is to ask questions and make you speak up. So at the end of the day, he hasn’t done anything wrong. It is your duty to get to that place and mind what you say but if you now go and talk too much, you apologise. I dunno why anybody is escalating this issue, she has said what she said and apologised. As far as I’m concerned, her apology is enough,” she explained.

This dispute emerged after Jegede appeared on the podcast and afterwards issued a public apology to May Edochie and women in general for her previous statements.

The actress had stated that she saw no issue in actor, Yul Edochie, taking Judy Austin as a second wife to May. She stressed that the backlash the actor had received from the public was ironic because she felt many of his critics came from polygamous homes themselves.

However, in her apology, she stated that she had not meant to trivialise May’s troubles, but was only trying to highlight the prominence of polygamy in Nigerian cultures. She also promptly apologised for her words during the show.

Then after her public apology, Nedu posted a subliminal message saying, “If you talk, use your chest to stand by your words. Still Number 1,” a post which Jegede did not take lightly. Afterwards she called him on Instagram, tagging him small small-minded.

Continue Reading

Most Read...