Foreign students can no longer take family to UK from 2024
The UK says it will restrict foreign students from bringing family members with them from 2024.
We had reported that the UK was mulling restriction announcements.
In a statement on Tuesday, the Home Office said the development was necessary to cut net migration and ban people from using the student visa as a backdoor route to work in the UK.
“Last year almost half a million student visas were issued while the number of dependants of overseas students has increased by 750% since 2019, to 136,000 people,” the Home Office said.
“The new reforms will come into effect for students starting in January next year. The government will however work with the higher education sector to explore alternative options to ensure the brightest and best students can continue to bring dependents when they study at the UK’s world-leading universities.”
The UK said overseas students will be stopped from switching from the student visa route to work routes until their studies have been completed to avoid misuse of the visa system.
The UK government said it will also review the required funds students must have to demonstrate they can look after themselves and their dependents.
The Home Office said the government will clamp down on “unscrupulous” international student agents who may be supporting inappropriate applications.
Suella Braverman, secretary of state for the home department, said the move was necessary to protect the UK economy.
“The UK is a top destination for the brightest students to learn at some of the world’s best universities. But we have seen an unprecedented rise in the number of student dependents being brought into the country with visas,” Braverman said.
“It is time for us to tighten up this route to ensure we can cut migration numbers and meet the government’s pledge to the British people to cut net migration. This is the fair thing to do to allow us to better protect our public services, while supporting the economy by allowing the students who contribute the most to keep coming here.”
The ban will affect all master’s students and some other post-graduates, but it will not apply to PhD students who are highly skilled and whose courses last between 3 to 5 years.
NIGERIANS AMONG HARDEST HIT
If implemented, the crackdown will affect many Nigerian students hoping to pursue their postgraduate studies in the UK, as they accounted for the highest increase in the number of dependants accompanying persons with study visas in 2022.
Nigerian nationals also accounted for the largest increase in sponsored study grants compared with 2019, increasing by 57,545 (+686%) to a record high of 65,929, making them the third largest nationality group in the latest year.
The development is the latest in Braverman’s “aspirations” to restrict migrants from entering the UK and comes months after she announced plans to reform the graduate visa route.
We’re not recruiting, it’s a scam, JAMB warns
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has denied claims that it is currently recruiting staff members.
In a statement on Thursday, Fabian Benjamin, JAMB’s spokesperson, said the board’s reaction followed reports of an “employment syndicate” attempting to defraud unsuspecting members of the public in Akure, Ondo state.
“The attention of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has been drawn to the unwholesome activities of an employment syndicate operating in Akure, Ondo State, which claims to have been contracted to recruit staff for the Board using a dedicated social media account,” the statement reads.
“The syndicate, operating under ‘Akure Job and Business Advert Forum’, located at Quarters 92 Alagbaka Estate, Near CBN Office, IBB Avenue, Akure, Ondo state, is using the name of JAMB, Ondo state office, to advertise job vacancies into secretarial and clerical positions in the board.”
JAMB asked the public to disregard the claims and threatened to take legal action against the people peddling the rumours.
“The board, is by this disclaimer, advising all members of the public to disregard such information as it is currently not recruiting in any of its offices nor has it contracted anyone or organisation to do so on its behalf,” it added.
“Anybody doing business with the above-mentioned platform or similar ones, does so at his/her own risk. Furthermore, stiff legal actions will be taken against anyone found culpable of such nefarious acts.
“Members of the public are, therefore, advised to be wary of the shenanigans of mischief makers out to defraud hapless job seekers as all notifications by the board are made only through its approved channels”.
ASUU sues FG over discriminatory payment of salaries
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has sued the federal government over “discriminatory, unfair and illegal treatment” of its members.
The suit was filed at the national industrial court of Nigeria (NICN), Abuja, by Femi Falana, counsel to ASUU.
On Tuesday, the national industrial court upheld the “no work, no pay” rule by the federal government in the suit filed against ASUU.
On February 14, 2022, ASUU embarked on a strike over issues revolving around revitalising public universities, and a review of lecturers’ salaries and allowances, among other matters.
On October 14, 2022, the strike was called off despite unresolved issues.
From February to October 2022, the federal government refused to pay the lecturers’ salaries owing to the implementation of the “no work, no pay” policy.
The union repeatedly disagreed with the move citing that lecturers cannot be treated like casual workers.
In his ruling on Tuesday, Benedict Kanyip, the presiding judge, said it was within the rights of the federal government to withhold the salaries of workers who embark on strike.
Kanyip described the “no work, no pay” rule as perfectly legal.
THE NEW SUIT
In the new suit, ASUU said it was “discriminatory” for the federal government to pay salaries of members of the medical and dental academics of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Anambra, who were on strike from February to October 2022.
The academic union added that the federal government equally paid salaries to members of the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD), who were on strike from September to October 2021.
“A declaration by virtue of the provisions of section 42 of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria, 1999 as amended and articles 2 and 19 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ratification and enforcement) act 2004 the decision of the defendants to pay the members of the Joint Health Service Union who were on strike from March to May 2018 while electing to withhold the salaries of the members of the claimant who took part in an industrial action from February to October 2022 is discriminatory, selective and illegal,” the suit reads.
“A declaration that having regards to the provisions of section 42 of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria, 1999 as amended and articles 2 and 19 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ratification and enforcement) act 2004, the decision of the defendants to pay the members of the National Association of Resident Doctors who were on strike from September to October 2021 while electing to withhold the salaries of the members of the claimant who took part in industrial action from February to October 2022 is discriminatory, unlawful, null and void.
“A declaration that having paid the salaries of lecturers of the medical facilities / medical and dental academic of the Nnamdi Azikwe University, Nnewi campus, Anambra state who were on strike from February to October 2022, the decision of the defendants to withhold the salaries of the members of the claimant is discriminatory and illegal as it violates section 42 of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria, 1999 as amended and Articles 2 and 19 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ratification and enforcement) act 2004.
“An order mandating the 3rd defendant to pay the withheld salaries of the members of the claimant for the months of February to October 2022 forthwith.”
UI Distance Learning Centre announces entrance examination date
The University of Ibadan (UI) Distance Learning Centre (DLC) has fixed June 2 for the admission screening exercise for the first batch of applicants who sat for its post-UTME exam.
In a statement on Monday, Babatunde Omobowale, the director of the centre, said the exercise is for applicants who obtained a minimum of 40% in the UI-post UTME.
Omobowale said the applicants must have also changed their mode of studies to the open distance eLearning (ODeL) mode of the institution.
The varsity also announced that the examination for O’Level fresh applicants to its undergraduate programmes via the ODeL has been scheduled for June 3 and 17 respectively.
Omobowale said the application form is open to candidates with at least five relevant credit passes in WAEC or NECO for admission into 100 Level.
“Candidates seeking admission into the 200 Level with OND or HND must have obtained minimum of Upper Credit for the Direct or Fast Track Entries in undergraduate programmes including B.Sc. Computer Science, BSc Sociology, BSW Social Works, B.Sc Psychology, B.Sc Political Science, B.A Communications and Language Arts, B.Ed Educational Management,” he said.
The director of the centre added that “A” Level, NCE and first-degree holders are eligible for direct and fast-track admission upon meeting the admission requirements.
Omobowale said sitting for UTME is not required to gain admission to study in the university via the flexible ODeL mode.
He, however, said when admitted, candidates are required to effect registration on the JAMB portal for the purpose of obtaining an admission letter.
Omobowale also explained that due to the parity of esteem policy operated by UI, students on the two modes of study take the same courses and are taught by the same lecturers either physically or virtually.
“They also sit for the same standard of examinations and are ultimately awarded the same prestigious UI certificates as well as enjoy privilege of being mobilised for the National Youth Service Corp (NYSC),” he added.
Spain passes law allowing women to take paid menstrual leave — first in Europe
Arik Air removes CRJ 1000 from fleet, aircraft to be torn down
‘I went on my own to address allegations’ — Pauline Tallen speaks on EFCC quizzing
Falana faults NNPCL, says only president can fix petrol price
EFCC grills ex-minister Pauline Tallen over diversion of N2bn
Withdraw your petition against Tinubu, LP faction tells Obi
NLC to embark on nationwide strike next week Wednesday
123-year-old Kenyan woman, Theresie Nyirakajumba, seeks companion, says ‘I’m still a virgin’
Kizz Daniel hints at separation from fiancée
Like Nigeria, Angola cuts petrol subsidy to promote solid economic growth
I’d work with Tinubu if he consults me, says Bode George
JUST IN: Tinubu confirms Gbajabiamila as chief-of staff
Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.
She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others
Politics2 days ago
Governor Hope Uzodinma Elected As Chairman Progressives Governors’ Forum
News1 week ago
Biden’s Presidential Delegation arrives Abuja for Tinubu’s inauguration
News6 days ago
FG introduces ‘Brown Card’ for permanent residency
Business3 days ago
‘Four In Four’ For Zenith Bank As It Retains Title As ‘Best Corporate Governance Financial Services’ In Africa
News5 days ago
I look forward to going home, my cows are easier to control than Nigerians, says Buhari
Health1 week ago
5 unhealthy and deadly snacks almost all Nigerians enjoy
Sports5 days ago
Lionel Messi shuns awards night with PSG to attend music concert in Barcelona (Video)
World4 days ago
‘I look forward to a stronger friendship’ — King Charles congratulates Tinubu on inauguration