Connect with us

World

Jury finds Donald Trump sexually abused writer E Jean Carroll, awards her $5m

Published

on

Former United States President Donald Trump sexually abused E Jean Carroll, a writer, in a New York department store changing room 27 years ago, a New York jury has found.

The decision officially labels a former US president as a sexual predator for the first time.

However, because it stems from a civil case rather than a criminal one, Trump will only be subject to monetary fines.

The jury awarded Carroll $5 million for battery and defamation.

Carroll filed the lawsuit last November under the “New York state adult survivors act,” a state bill that opened a look-back window for sexual assault allegations with long-expired statutes of limitation.

The writer said Trump raped her in the Bergdorf Goodman department store and then defamed her when he denied her claim, suggesting she made up the story to boost sales of her book.

She said he led her into a dressing room under the guise of trying on a bodysuit he intended to buy for another woman.

Carroll said she saw no problems with following him to the lingerie store because she was “absolutely enchanted” by Trump’s amusing chatter.

However, the situation “turned absolutely dark” soon, she added.

“He immediately shut the door and shoved me up against the wall. He shoved me so hard my head banged. I was extremely confused,” Carroll told the jury.

“He leaned down and pulled down my tights. I was pushing him back. It was quite clear I didn’t want anything else to happen.”

Carroll said she could not escape Trump’s grip, adding that he raped her.

Trump, on his social media site Truth Social, called the jury’s verdict a “total disgrace” and said it was “continuation of the greatest witch hunt of all time”.

He reiterated that he did not know who Carroll was.

Trump, who announced his re-run bid for presidency, is the subject of multiple investigations into his conduct before, during, and after his first term as president.

The investigations include allegations of fraud by his family business, his role in the 2021 attack on the US Capitol, his attempt to overturn the 2020 election, and the stashing of classified documents at his residence at Mar-a-Lago.

Recently, the former president was charged with 34 counts of falsifying business records in the first degree.

He was also found guilty of a payout to Stormy Daniels, an adult actress, in an attempt to buy her silence over an alleged affair.

World

Mahamat Déby declared as winner of Chad presidential poll

Published

on

By

Chad’s constitutional council has announced Mahamat Déby as the winner of the May 6 presidential election.

The announcement on Thursday, confirmed preliminary results from the country’s National Election Management Agency last week.

The declaration of Déby as the winner came after the council dismissed challenges by two candidates — Succès Masra, prime minister, and Albert Padacké, former prime minister.

Jean-Bernard Padare, constitutional council president, said Masra came second with 18.54 percent, while Padacké won 16.93 percent.

Padare said Déby won the poll with 61 percent of the vote — cementing a victory that extends his family’s decades-long rule.

Masara acknowledged the council’s ruling in a live address on Thursday evening.

“With the decision of the constitutional council today, we have used all available legal means, and even if we do not accept this decision, there are no other legal means in our judicial architecture,” Masra said.

Before the election results were announced, Masra had announced himself as the winner in a Facebook broadcast.

The prime minister called on his supporters and security forces to oppose what he said was an attempt to steal victory from the people.

His concession has put an end to fears of violence arising from a much-disputed election in a country adjusting to democracy.

Padacké, the other candidate who challenged the preliminary results, congratulated Déby on his victory.

Yaya Dillo, Déby’s relative and another opposition figure who had been expected to run, was shot and killed the day the election date was announced.

Before his death, Dillo was considered to be Déry’s strongest rival. Opposition groups said the shooting was an assassination.

Continue Reading

World

Harry and Meghan: Outrage on social media as UK journalist says Nigerians are Nazis

Published

on

By

Harry and Meghan: Outrage on social media as UK journalist says Nigerians are Nazis

A British journalist, Christopher Wilson, sparked outrage among many Nigerians with a now-deleted tweet.

In the tweet, Wilson compared Nigerians to Nazis for welcoming the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, to Nigeria, igniting widespread condemnation.

The three-day visit of Prince Harry and Meghan to Nigeria attracted significant attention and reactions worldwide.

“Desperate to show his wife they were still ‘royal’ in the eyes of the world, the Duke of Windsor took Wallis on a tour of Germany in 1937. Nigeria’s human rights record is not far short of Nazi Germany’s,” Wilson posted on Tuesday.

Wilson, author of ‘A Greater Love: Charles and Camilla,’ was referring to Wallis Simpson, an American socialite who eventually became the wife of King Edward VIII.

Edward VIII, Queen Elizabeth II’s uncle, abdicated the throne in 1936 to marry Simpson.

The monarch’s decision to marry Simpson, a divorcée, triggered a constitutional crisis, leading to Edward’s abdication from the throne in December 1936.

After their marriage, they became known as the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

The couple travelled extensively, and notably, they visited Adolf Hitler at his Berghof retreat in Bavaria, Nazi Germany, in October 1937.

Markle, an American divorcee, married Prince Harry in 2018.

However, the couple announced their decision to step back from their royal duties in 2020 and relocated to California, United States. Despite their move, they retained their titles as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

When confronted with comparing Nigeria with Nazi Germany, Wilson referenced a 2023 report from the United States Department of State Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labour.

The report he cited highlights human rights abuses in Nigeria, including extrajudicial killings, torture, harsh prison conditions and arbitrary arrests, among others.

The post sparked criticism and backlash from Nigerians and netizens.

On X.com, @wukster2, who tweets anonymously, wrote, “How did we become Nazis @TheWislon? You are so triggered by Harry and Meghan that you have resorted to comparing Nigeria to Nazi Germany. Meghan Markle’s power over mediocre white men and women needs to be studied. We need a global conference.”

A tweep, Faith Harvest, who identifies as @harvest_fa77000 on X, wrote, “Desperate? Nah, there is no comparison. Try as they may to liken Meghan to Wallis Simpson, Meghan is no Wallis and Harry is certainly not an abdicated king with sympathies to Hitler, and as far as human rights records, Christopher Wilson needs to read up on his own history!”

On Arise TV’s The Morning Show, journalist, Rufai Oseni, also voiced his criticism.

“These people are racist. This is the height of racism. He’s just so jealous because Harry and Megan came to Nigeria and they got relevance and it’s in your face it’s going to hurt you to the very end. I hope that this racism eats your bile up and it continues to eat you because we can’t continue this way. How would you relate them to what happened in Nazi Germany?

“The scenarios are different very different. These people came for a worthy cause in Nigeria which is the Invictus game, to be able to support veterans. Harry has built a brand with this Invictus game that goes around the world and has supported a lot of veterans and that’s something worth celebrating but because of the hatred and the bile that you have against this guy just let him be,” Oseni said.

Glow Lee, who tweets as @GlowanneLee, said, “Christopher Wilson is a royalist journalist critical of Meghan from the beginning and has just compared Nigeria to Nazi Germany. This is the mentality of the hard-core royalist. If they can say these things on Twitter, what would they say off it?”

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrived in the capital city of Abuja last Friday and were pictured at a range of engagements over the weekend.

Continue Reading

World

One-year-old Ghanaian Ace Liam becomes world’s youngest male artist

Published

on

By

Ace Liam, the one-year-old Ghanaian toddler, has secured the Guinness World Record (GWR) for the youngest male artist.

Chantelle Eghan, Liam’s mother, who is also an artist, took to Instagram on Wednesday to announce her son’s feat.

“It’s official!!! @ace_liam_paints my 1 year old son is officially the Guinness world record holder as the YOUNGEST MALE ARTIST in the world. He achieved this feat at the age of 1 year 152 days old,” she wrote.

“Many thanks to everyone who supported us on this journey, your prayers and support brought us this far. The journey was not easy but it was definitely worth it!!!”

GWR also lauded Liam’s artistic prowess, adding that he used his hands and body to manipulate acrylic paint across canvases.

“The youngest artist (male) is Ace-Liam Nana Sam Ankrah (Ghana, b. 16 July 2022), who was 1 year and 152 days old, as verified in Accra, Ghana, on 15 December 2023,” it wrote.

“Ace-Liam’s paintings use a technique which is done by manoeuvring acrylic paint across a canvas using the hands and body to create unique and abstract artworks.

“Since his first artwork entitled “The Crawl”, he has completed another 20 paintings (and counting) and has also participated in his first group exhibition.”

Dante Lamb was the previous record holder. The American achieved the feat in 2003 at the age of three.

Continue Reading

Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.

She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others

Most Read...