Special Features

International Women’s Day: BEWI Africa takes value placement summit to schoolgirls

It was a day with a difference for over 1000 female students of Ifesowapo Aboru Senior Secondary School (IASSS), Aboru, Alimosho LG, Lagos, when BEWI Africa turned March 8, which is International Women’s Day, IWD, to a day summit for the girls.

At the event, BEWI Africa talked on value placement that has to do with self growth, self development, self-confidence, self-respect and how women should stand by one another.

BEWI Africa, a non-governmental social enterprise that is committed to gender empowerment, equality and developments that are consistent with its ethos, and conform with the tenets of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), also celebrated the beautiful day with refreshments.

The school’s principal, who made the opening speech around 9am, welcomed representatives of BEWI Africa to address the students.

The team talked about how the girls can be a better version of themselves, surmount any bias without being bashed by anyone. Emphasis was placed on how BEWI Africa has been supporting dreams and making them come true through her empowerment and entrepreneurship scheme.

Founder’s message

In her message, delivered by the team, BEWI’s Founder, Florence Bodex Hungbo, said she decided to take IWD to schoolgirls because of her story.

Hungbo said: “I have been in your shoes before and I remember an adage that says ‘catch them young’.

“So, my team and I decided to celebrate with the schoolgirls so they can have a better knowledge and constant awareness on the importance of celebrating women even in their young ages.

“I was once standing here like you, when a foundation came to speak with us; those words changed my life, and inspired me to start a change and not wait for miracles to happen.

“The strength for great exploit lies in our days of youthfulness lies, and strength is what I refer to as POTENTIALS.

“This can either be channelled positively or negatively, depending on how focused you are with your dream and aspirations.

“It is left for everyone to channel their potentials positively into attaining greater heights and achieving greater things,” Bodex added.

She appreciated the hospitality of the school’s staff and management, and admonish the students to be of good behaviour, attitude, be focused on their goals and never allow anyone to deter them, as that was the first big step to #BREAKTHEBIAS.

Speaking to journalists on the one-day summit with schoolgirls, the BEWI Founder said: “There’s so much to do for the girl-child and time starts now.

“If gender equality is still being discussed as if it’s a privilege the females are begging for, then the girl-child must be empowered all round.

“Females make up 48% of Nigeria’s population, yet our place at the table is minimal.

“So except the girl-child is empowered beyond the classroom to know what she’s capable of, we will never be able to band up and harness the power within us and the strength of our numbers.

“This is why BEWI will always take the message to schoolgirls and young women wherever they are,” Hungbo added.

1. graliontorile

May 6, 2022 6:23 am at 6:23 am

Today, I went to the beach front with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell someone!

2. zoritoler imol

May 9, 2022 1:48 am at 1:48 am

My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different web address and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to finding out about your web page yet again.

3. hpjyfv

May 13, 2022 2:47 am at 2:47 am

hydroxychloroquine sulfate 200 mg tab chloroquine phosphate tablets

4. graliontorile

May 14, 2022 2:30 pm at 2:30 pm

Terrific work! This is the type of info that should be shared across the web. Disgrace on Google for no longer positioning this post upper! Come on over and consult with my website . Thanks =)

5. Devin Deets

May 22, 2022 10:11 am at 10:11 am

Woh I enjoy your blog posts, saved to favorites! .

6. computer service

June 12, 2022 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm

I think this site has got very great written content material articles.

7. zorivareworilon

June 29, 2022 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm

I reckon something truly interesting about your site so I saved to my bookmarks.

8. гаражни врати

July 15, 2022 4:35 am at 4:35 am

Hi , I do believe this is an excellent blog. I stumbled upon it on Yahoo , i will come back once again. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and help other people.

9. As I website possessor I conceive the written content here is very superb, regards for your efforts.

10. Drain jetting machine

July 23, 2022 3:18 pm at 3:18 pm

Hello.This article was extremely motivating, especially because I was investigating for thoughts on this subject last Thursday.

11. private detective Melbourne

August 6, 2022 9:03 am at 9:03 am

As a Newbie, I am constantly browsing online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you

12. her comment is here

September 4, 2022 10:15 am at 10:15 am

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

13. Pelvic Floor Therapy

September 8, 2022 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm

Hiya, I am really glad I’ve found this info. Today bloggers publish just about gossips and web and this is actually annoying. A good website with exciting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I’ll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can’t find it.

14. best cryptocurrency to invest in 2021 for short-term

September 11, 2022 2:11 pm at 2:11 pm

Hi, just required you to know I he added your site to my Google bookmarks due to your layout. But seriously, I believe your internet site has 1 in the freshest theme I??ve came across. It extremely helps make reading your blog significantly easier.

15. best cryptocurrency to invest in 2021 for short-term

September 11, 2022 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm

Just desire to say your article is as surprising. The clearness for your post is just great and i can suppose you are an expert in this subject. Fine along with your permission let me to grasp your RSS feed to keep up to date with imminent post. Thanks one million and please keep up the rewarding work.

16. best cryptocurrency to trade

September 12, 2022 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm

I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one today..

17. best cryptocurrency to buy now

September 14, 2022 12:33 am at 12:33 am

Yeah bookmaking this wasn’t a speculative decision outstanding post! .

18. top cryptocurrency to buy

September 14, 2022 2:36 am at 2:36 am

Great work! This is the type of info that should be shared around the internet. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my website . Thanks =)

19. best cryptocurrency to buy now

September 14, 2022 2:25 pm at 2:25 pm

I gotta favorite this website it seems invaluable handy

20. cleaning services london

October 10, 2022 2:14 am at 2:14 am

Awesome blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers? I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally confused .. Any suggestions? Appreciate it!

21. super tuscan

October 16, 2022 7:11 am at 7:11 am

magnificent post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do not notice this. You must continue your writing. I’m sure, you have a great readers’ base already!

22. October 27, 2022 3:51 pm at 3:51 pm

I have not checked in here for a while since I thought it was getting boring, but the last several posts are great quality so I guess I will add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂

23. marizon ilogert

October 30, 2022 11:49 am at 11:49 am

I am continuously looking online for articles that can help me. Thx!

24. millieu

November 20, 2022 10:24 am at 10:24 am

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

25. zmozeroteriloren

November 22, 2022 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm

I think other site proprietors should take this web site as an model, very clean and great user friendly style and design, let alone the content. You are an expert in this topic!

26. zmozeroteriloren

November 23, 2022 6:18 pm at 6:18 pm

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something informative to read?

27. Ziakua

November 27, 2022 10:10 am at 10:10 am

levofloxacin us levofloxacin 500mg generic

28. you could check here

November 29, 2022 8:47 pm at 8:47 pm

certainly like your website however you need to check the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very bothersome to inform the truth on the other hand I¦ll surely come back again.

29. Udiqmb

December 3, 2022 2:22 am at 2:22 am

dutasteride over the counter avodart 0.5mg without prescription order zofran 4mg online cheap

30. Guqaaf

December 4, 2022 10:02 am at 10:02 am

aldactone medication order aldactone 100mg online buy fluconazole 200mg for sale

31. Smalsn

December 5, 2022 5:39 pm at 5:39 pm

ampicillin 250mg oral buy bactrim 960mg generic erythromycin 250mg sale

Special Features

Bodex F. Hungbo bags New Media Personality of the Year Award, 2022

Congratulatory messages are in order again as the Badagry born multiple Awards-winning damsel Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM bags Prime Excellence New Media Personality of the Year Award.

The award which was presented to her in November 20, 2022 by Yeye (Barr) Mrs. Caroline Adeneye, CEO Sierra Global at Airport Hotel Ikeja was in recognition of her massive contributions to the growth and outstanding impact in the digital media space using Bodex Social Media Hangout as a tool in shaping the society and our country at large.

Recently, the Serial Entrepreneur, Cobbler, Multi-Media Expert, Brand/Event Expert, and PR consultant also, bagged an International Award and Regcognition for Excellence in Data and Information Management 2022 by the Institute of Information Management Africa presented by Dr Oyedokun A. Oyewole, President Institute of Information Management Africa for her enormous contribution and using her unique media talk- shop called Bodex Social Media Hangout that is designed to create consistent awareness and engagement on the need for social media good and while curating practical solutions through the engagement of professionals making positive impact across platforms.

During the presentation, Bodex Social Media Hangout was awarded Best Digital Program of the Year 2022 Bodex has become a reputable brand influencer/blogger and social media strategist with enormous influence in Nigeria and has been at the forefront of using digital/ traditional entrepreneurship to create value, engage the youth and deliver communication objectives for partner organisations.

In her appreciation speech, Bodex thanked the organizers of these awards for deeming her fit for the awards and also recognising the impact of Bodex Social Media Hangout in the country.

She also thanked all the media personalities present while dedicating the awards to all digital and tradition media entrepreneurs in Nigeria and beyond and promised to make everyone who has supported her on this journey proud.

Bodex is the Chairperson of Bodex Group International which comprises of Bodex Media, Bodex Footwear, Bodex Beauty House, House of Bodex and lead consultant at Volt Media Advisory.

She is the founder, Bodex Exceptional Women Initiative Africa (BEWIAFRICA)- an initiative that empowers women in men’s dominated field, amongst others.

Special Features

I learned to play talking drum myself as men refused to teach me, says Ara the drummer

Ara, the Nigerian drummer, has revealed that she learned how to play the talking drum by herself.

The self-acclaimed “queen of drums” spoke about her career in an interview with Channels TV.

She said she learned how to play the drums by watching the men perform, adding that they “refused” to teach her.

Ara said she listened to Nigeria’s veteran singers and learned how to play the drums to their sounds.

“I learned how to play the talking drum by watching the guys play because they refused to teach me. So I watched them play. I bought the music of people that I look up to in the industry,” she said.

“My father had a huge collection from Fela to Ayinla Omo Wura to Yusuf Olatunji to King Sunny Ade and everybody. So I learned to play with them.

“I listened to even Lagbaja when I was learning how to play because I love Lagbaja a lot. So I listened to all of their music and I trained my ear to listen differently and play differently.”

Ara is regarded as the foremost female drummer in Africa with a career that spans over two decades.

Special Features

Ara the Drummer narrates her grass to grace story

Nigeria’s foremost female drummer, Aralola Olamuyiwa popularly known as Ara, has made more revelations about her journey of life, recalling how she lost almost everything she laboured for in life, after things went from bad to worse for her.

The goddess of drums made these revelations during the week, while unveiling her pet project, a reality TV show tagged, “Eko Inspire Me By Ara”, and an academy for “Area Boys and Girls.”

Sharing her bitter experience at the unveiling ceremony, which was held at the EbonyLife Place, Victoria Island, Lagos, Ara said God took her on a journey to prepare her for what she’s doing today.

“In 2019”, she began, “I lost everything. When I say I lost everything, I lost everything I laboured for in life.”

She continued: “I sold all my cars and I was homeless. Nobody knew about my predicament except my family.”

“As at that time, I was somebody who used to give, not receive. I didn’t want to reach out to anybody. My landlord sent me packing because I couldn’t pay my house rent. On the day I was ejected from my house, I moved into a hotel with my child. While I was in the hotel, I reached out to one or two people whom I felt I could talk to.

“Sadly, I ended up staying in that one-room hotel for almost a year. I could not afford to feed myself and my child. In fact, I was eating the food that was meant for the kitchen staff. I moved from grace to grass and I started questioning God, why me?

“Everything I tried to do wasn’t working out for me. God practically cut everyone off me. When my mum knew what I was passing through, she reached out to me, but I told her I didn’t want to bother her. I started going to shows again. But the show that I normally charged between N3 million and N5 million, they started offering me between N100,000 and N150,000. I said to myself, what’s this?

“One day, I got a revelation and I said to God, is that the reason you are taking me on this journey? I prayed about it and I was told that nothing was wrong with me. This is God teaching me a lesson for a greater purpose. Nobody knew about what I was passing through because I am not a social media kind of person. Eventually, I picked the project again because I dumped it before now.

“I got frustrated trying to get people to key into the project. I went from organization to organization, but nothing seemed to be working out. So I dumped the project and God dumped me. I realized that He wanted me to feel what it feels like not to have a roof over your head, not to know where your next meal will come from.

“I cried profusely when they told me they were going to shut down the hotel where I was staying with my child because of COVID-19. I begged God to forgive me if I have done anything wrong. Later, they called me and said they weren’t going to shut down the hotel because of me. So, the moment I picked the project again, doors started opening for me. I said to God is that why you took me through this journey. Everything I lost gradually started coming back. I went from 100% to zero %. That’s why I said this project is the beginning of the beginnings for me,” the celebrity drummer, who was emotional, narrated.

Ara further explained that the initiative was borne out of her experience with some hoodlums over 10 years ago when she went to visit a friend at Oshodi area of Lagos. She said she made a promise to return to them in future, which she never fulfilled.

According to her, the experience changed her mentality about the street urchins. The drummer said she and her team were poised to make life better for over 2,000 area boys and girls in the next 10 years.

“Eko Inspire Me was conceived in my heart about 10 years ago due to a personal experience I had with some area boys in Oshodi,” she added.

Ara, however, thanked the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, for his support to make the initiative a dream come true.

On the reality show, the celebrity drummer said “Nigerians will vote 100 of them, 20 out of the 100 into the reality show. The academy will run throughout the year while the reality TV show is once a year.

“We cannot take more than 20 people for the reality TV show, but the Academy can take as many as possible. We also want volunteers.

“If anyone has touched your life, it’s time to pay back by helping these guys.”

Also speaking at the event, the Lagos State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, said the initiative was in line with the Sanwo-Olu-led administration’s vision and pledged that the government will continue to offer support to ensure that more area boys and girls are kept out of the streets.

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, who spoke via a recorded video, also pledged to pick 20 area boys for mentorship.