Connect with us

News

House of reps: Court sacks APC candidate in Jigawa, PDP nominee in Zamfara

Published

on

A federal high court in Abuja has voided the nomination of two house of representatives candidates in Jigawa and Zamfara states.

The court, in two judgments, sacked Aminu Kanta as the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for Babura/Garki federal constituency in Jigawa state, and Sani Galadima as the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for Kaura Namoda Bimin Magaji constituency in Zamfara.

The PDP was ordered to conduct a fresh primary to choose its candidate for the Kaura Namoda Bimin Magaji federal constituency, while the court directed Isa Dogonyaro to be recognised as the APC’s legitimate candidate for the Babura/Garki federal constituency.

Delivering judgment on Monday in a suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/832/2022 and filed by two chieftains of PDP — Muzammil Idris and Ibrahim Sani — Inyang Ekwo, the presiding judge, held that Galadima, having failed to resign from the APC to PDP within the time stipulated by law (30 days before the primary), was not a lawful member of PDP and therefore, unqualified to contest any election under the party’s platform.

In the second suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1052/2022, Emeka Nwite, the presiding judge, held that Kanta’s nomination was voided on the grounds that he submitted false information.

In the ruling delivered on November 10, the judge held that Kanta, who had previously claimed his name was Ahmed Mohammed, contested the primary under a false name.

Nwite ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to substitute the name of Kanta with that of Isa Dogonyaro as the APC candidate for Babura/Garki federal constituency of Jigawa state.

Dongonyaro had also claimed that Kanta served as commissioner and special adviser in the state between 2015 and 2022 using the name ‘Ahmed Mohammed’.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Tenant sues landlady for refusing to sell her house to him

Published

on

By

A high court in Lagos has dismissed a case filed by one Ademola Onitiju, a tenant, who sued his landlady for not selling her house to him.

In 2021, Onitiju, a retired air commodore and legal practitioner, took Theodosia Ogunnaike, the landlady of a four-bedroom duplex at Dolphin Estate in Ikoyi, to court for selling the property to another person after his initial negotiation with her.

The 59-year-old tenant, who started residing in the house in December 2015, said the property was first offered to him as first option to purchase but he did not pay for it immediately. Onitiju said he was initially asked to pay N170 million for the property, but he offered to pay N90 million instead, which was rejected by the landlady.

The retired airforce officer said during the renegotiation process, he sold two family properties to enable him to match the purchase price of N135 million which was later requested for. He said he asked for a bank account detail to pay the purchase price, but he was not provided with any until the property was sold out to one Samuel Dare, a retired colonel.

Onitiju admitted that the defendants did not ask him to sell the two family properties, “but they did by conduct when they insisted on the N135 million purchase price”. He also told the court that he does not have evidence of where the N135 million was lodged.

The tenant asked the court to set aside the sale of the property to the retired colonel.

Ogunnaike, a widow, said the property belongs to her daughter but she was managing it for her. The landlady said Onitiju used to pay his N4.5 million annual rent to her bank account and the rent was not increased during his stay, while they had a cordial relationship.

The landlady said the offer to buy the house was first made to Onitiju, but he did not have money to pay. Then, she terminated the offer made to the retired airforce officer after he made two counter offers of N90 million and N1oo million, and the sale of the property was thrown open to the public.

In her ruling on June 20, 2022, Bola Okikiolu-Ighile, the presiding judge, said Onitiju’s evidence before the court did not support any of the reliefs sought by him, and his case was bereft of facts. She subsequently dismissed the case.

“I find it difficult to grant any of the reliefs sought in the claims (i)-(vii). The claimant shall relinquish possession of the property to the new owners forthwith,” the judge ruled.

Onitiju has, however, appealed against the judgment.

Continue Reading

News

Fuel scarcity: Expect flight delays, Air Peace tells passengers

Published

on

By

The management of Air Peace has announced possible flight delays as a result of scarcity of aviation fuel popularly known as Jet A1.


The airline disclosed this in a statement via its official Instagram handle obtained by our correspondent.


The statement reads, “Please anticipate delays on our service as we are grappling with fuel scarcity, which is causing us multiple delays.


“We hope the situation will restore to normal soon. We regret the impact of this on your plans.”

Continue Reading

News

Lagos thugs attack Akeem Adeyemi while on movie set (Video)

Published

on

By

Akeem Adeyemi, the Nollywood actor, has been attacked by thugs on a movie set in Lagos.

Wunmi Toriola, an actress, disclosed this via her Instagram page on Tuesday.

She said Adeyemi was attacked by “area boys” while he was filming in the Gbagada axis of the state.

Toriola also shared a video wherein Adeyemi is seen with a bloody eye lamenting about the “brutal attack”.

“See what area boys did. To what end. Peaceful filming turned this. Help. Sawmill Gbagada,” she wrote.

Reacting to the incident, Adebayo Salami, the ace actor, revealed that the culprit has been arrested.

He also charged the Theatre Arts and Motion Pictures Practitioners Association of Nigeria (TAMPAN) to intervene and ensure the safety of its members.

“This is an unacceptable experience. Though I am glad to know that the culprit has been apprehended by officers of the law, I enjoin the leadership of @tampanglobal to look into this situation as a matter of urgency,” he wrote.

“The safety and security of filmmakers are paramount to us. Beyond the physical assault, losing a day of production means more money has to be spent above the budgeted funds. No filmmaker wants to go through such stress. So sorry @iamakeemadeyemi and other production members.”

Continue Reading

Most Read...