Connect with us

News

Tenant sues landlady for refusing to sell her house to him

Published

on

A high court in Lagos has dismissed a case filed by one Ademola Onitiju, a tenant, who sued his landlady for not selling her house to him.

In 2021, Onitiju, a retired air commodore and legal practitioner, took Theodosia Ogunnaike, the landlady of a four-bedroom duplex at Dolphin Estate in Ikoyi, to court for selling the property to another person after his initial negotiation with her.

The 59-year-old tenant, who started residing in the house in December 2015, said the property was first offered to him as first option to purchase but he did not pay for it immediately. Onitiju said he was initially asked to pay N170 million for the property, but he offered to pay N90 million instead, which was rejected by the landlady.

The retired airforce officer said during the renegotiation process, he sold two family properties to enable him to match the purchase price of N135 million which was later requested for. He said he asked for a bank account detail to pay the purchase price, but he was not provided with any until the property was sold out to one Samuel Dare, a retired colonel.

Onitiju admitted that the defendants did not ask him to sell the two family properties, “but they did by conduct when they insisted on the N135 million purchase price”. He also told the court that he does not have evidence of where the N135 million was lodged.

The tenant asked the court to set aside the sale of the property to the retired colonel.

Ogunnaike, a widow, said the property belongs to her daughter but she was managing it for her. The landlady said Onitiju used to pay his N4.5 million annual rent to her bank account and the rent was not increased during his stay, while they had a cordial relationship.

The landlady said the offer to buy the house was first made to Onitiju, but he did not have money to pay. Then, she terminated the offer made to the retired airforce officer after he made two counter offers of N90 million and N1oo million, and the sale of the property was thrown open to the public.

In her ruling on June 20, 2022, Bola Okikiolu-Ighile, the presiding judge, said Onitiju’s evidence before the court did not support any of the reliefs sought by him, and his case was bereft of facts. She subsequently dismissed the case.

“I find it difficult to grant any of the reliefs sought in the claims (i)-(vii). The claimant shall relinquish possession of the property to the new owners forthwith,” the judge ruled.

Onitiju has, however, appealed against the judgment.

News

Again, INEC extends PVC collection deadline

Published

on

By

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for the collection of permanent voter cards (PVCs).

This is the second time INEC will extend the deadline for PVC collection.

The previous deadline was January 29.

In a statement on Saturday, Festus Okoye, national commissioner and chairman, information and voter education committee, said the decision was taken after a meeting on Saturday.

The new deadline for PVC collection is February 5.

“The Commission met today, Saturday, 29th January 2023 a day after its meeting with the Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) from the 36 States of the Federation and the Federal capital Territory, Abuja and deliberated on a number of issues, including the reports from RECs on the ongoing collection of Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) in its 774 Local Government Offices nationwide,” the statement reads.

“It will be recalled that at the meeting with RECs on Friday, 28th January 2023, the Chairman of the Commission, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu indicated that the Commission will not hesitate to consider additional measures to ensure that all citizens have ample opportunity to collect their PVCs ahead of the General Election.

“Having reviewed reports from all the States of the Federation, the Commission is encouraged by the progress made so far as more Nigerians troop out daily to collect their PVCs.

“Arising from reports from the various States and discussions with Resident Electoral Commissioners, the Commission has decided to further extend PVC collection in all its Local Government Offices nationwide by an additional one week.

“The ongoing collection of PVCs nationwide will therefore continue and end on 5th February 2023. This is the second time the Commission is extending PVC collection nationwide and this will be the last extension of the exercise.

“Collection period has further been extended by an additional two hours and will start at 9am and end at 5pm daily including Saturdays and Sundays.”

Continue Reading

News

Lagos state government to divert traffic at old tollgate/Berger axis for 10 weeks

Published

on

By

The Lagos state government has announced a 10-week diversion of traffic at the old tollgate to Berger section of the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.

Frederic Oladehinde, Lagos commissioner of transportation, said the traffic diversion will commence on Monday, January 30, and end Friday, April 15.

He said the diversion is for the continuation of the rehabilitation of the road by the ministry of works.

Oladehinde said the construction would be carried out in short segments to minimise inconveniences for motorists.

He said traffic on the Ibadan-bound carriageway would be narrowed to two lanes to allow for the reconstruction.

Oladeinde said the U-turn in front of the Lagos State Emergency Centre would be temporary closed to traffic, adding that motorists on the expressway would be diverted to the next U-turn at the old tollgate by the traffic control point.

He said motorists from CMD Road intending to connect 7UP and motorways on the Lagos bound carriageway would make use of the old tollgate/traffic point U–turn as well.

He said trucks and heavy-duty vehicles will be diverted to Ojota interchange.

The commissioner added that traffic on CMD Road inbound the expressway will be diverted to the entry point beside the FMW weighbridge to access the expressway.

He said the exit route to the expressway by Caleb International School will be temporarily closed and that the CMD Road will be used as an alternative for the displaced Ibadan-bound traffic.

Oladeinde appealed to residents to shun indiscriminate stopping, waiting and parking along CMD Road so as to complement the efforts of the traffic management team that will be deployed to manage vehicular movement.

He assured that signage with directions will be mounted along the road to guide motorists.

Continue Reading

News

Ganduje asks Buhari to postpone Kano visit over hardship caused by naira redesign

Published

on

By

Abdullahi Ganduje, Kano state governor, has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to postpone his planned visit to the state due to security concerns and complaints from locals about difficulty in obtaining the new naira notes.

Ganduje’s request was contained in a letter to the president, according to a statement signed by Abba Anwar, the governor’s media aide.

Buhari was scheduled to visit the state on January 30 and 31 to commission some projects executed by the Ganduje administration.

The governor was quoted as saying lawmakers from the state, political stakeholders and the business community agree with the decision to postpone the planned visit.

Ganduje also called for an extension of the deadline for returning old naira notes.

“Deeply concerned with the hardship caused by the limited time given for halting the use of old Naira notes by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), and for security reasons, Kano State governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje reveals that the state resolved and wrote to Presidency that, the visit of the President to commission some projects to be postponed,” the statement reads.

Anwar said the decision was made on Friday at the government house during an interactive session with academics, lawmakers, political leaders, and members of the business community.

“As we are waiting for this important visit, we found ourselves in this situation, which puts citizens into untold hardship. For security purposes, we wrote to Presidency that President Muhammadu Buhari’s visit to Kano is postponed,” the statement reads.

“We got an acknowledgement copy of the letter. People are suffering because of this policy.

“During the meeting with sections of citizens in the state, they accepted that the decision was a unanimous one. As they all spoke in support of the letter sent to the Presidency.

“Two serving senators from the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Kabiru Ibrahim Gaya and Barau Jibrin, Twenty members of the House of Representatives and Thirty legislators from the State House of Assembly were amongst the groups that put their weight behind the governor.”

Continue Reading

Most Read...