A suspension bridge under construction in India’s poorest state collapsed for the second time in 14 months, with one person reported missing on Sunday.
Reuters said the bridge was being built over the River Ganges in Bhagalpur district of India’s eastern state of Bihar.
Construction was slated to be completed in 2019 but faced multiple challenges, including those caused by an earlier collapse on April 30 last year due to strong winds and rain.
“There was a massive stir over here, it felt like there was a blast. Later we found out the bridge had collapsed,” Rakesh Kumar, a local resident disclosed.
Eight men were on the bridge at the time of its collapse on Sunday, with one guard reported missing.
The report said there was footage which showed a section of the bridge partially submerged in water, with only some pillars and cables connected extending out to indicate where that portion of the structure once stood.
“We have conducted an investigation and I have reported the findings to the head of the district administration,” Deputy Head of District Administration Amit Raj told the media.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, speaking to reporters on Monday, also promised “strict action”.
“It is not being constructed correctly that is why it is collapsing. It should have been made more strong,” he said.
In October last year, a colonial-era suspension bridge collapsed in the town of Morbi in the western state of Gujarat collapsed, plunging hundreds into the Machchhu river below and killing 135.
It had reopened just days earlier following months of repairs.
EU says ‘X’ is worst social media platform for misinformation
The European Union (EU) Commission has declared that X, formerly Twitter, is the social media platform with the largest ratio of misinformation and disinformation posts.
The Commission’s Vice-President for Values and Transparency, Vera Jourova, stated this on Tuesday in a statement on the EU Code of Practice on Disinformation. She said X performed woefully during a pilot test of a new methodology developed by the Code signatories.
While other platforms like YouTube, TikTok, Microsoft, and Meta’s family apps were said to have taken some measures to address disinformation, X is said to be harbouring more disinformation actors.
But for the X owner, Elon Musk, his agenda is to use the platform to promote ‘free speech’ for people all over the world. Musk has yet to respond to the EU’s claim as of the time of filing this report.
X, former Twitter, who is not under the Code anymore is the platform with the largest ratio of mis/disinformation posts. The pilot also showed that disinformation actors were found to have significantly more followers than their non-disinformation counterparts and tend to have joined the platform more recently than non-disinformation users,” Jourova declared.
US surgeons carry out world’s second pig-to-human heart transplant
Surgeons in the United States have carried out the world’s second transplant of a genetically modified pig’s heart to a human being.
According to a statement issued on Monday by the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM), the surgery was carried out on Lawrence Faucette, a 58-year-old patient who had terminal heart disease.
In 2022, the Maryland team had performed the world’s first transplant of a genetically modified pig’s heart into another dying man, David Bennett.
But the patient had died just two months after the procedure.
The current pig heart recipient was said to have been deemed ineligible for a traditional transplant with a human heart due to his pre-existing peripheral vascular disease and complications with internal bleeding.
This transplant of a pig’s heart was therefore the only option available.
The US Food and Drug Administration granted emergency approval for the surgery on September 15 through its single patient investigational new drug (IND) “compassionate use” pathway.
This approval process is used when an experimental medical product, is the only option available for a patient faced with a serious or life-threatening medical condition.
The pig heart, provided by Blacksburg, Virginia-based Revivicor, has 10 genetic modifications, knocking out some pig genes and adding some human ones to make it more acceptable to the human immune system.
According to the statement, Faucette is currently breathing on his own, and his heart is functioning well without any assistance from supportive devices.
“He is recovering and communicating with his loved ones. This is only the second time in the world that a genetically modified pig heart has been transplanted into a living patient,” the statement reads.
Bartley P. Griffith, who surgically transplanted the pig heart into both the first and second patient, said the doctors are grateful to Faucette for his bravery and willingness to help advance their knowledge of the field.
“We are hopeful that he will get home soon to enjoy more time with his wife and the rest of his loving family,” he said.
34 killed, 20 injured in Benin Republic fuel explosion
A fuel explosion in Benin Republic has led to the deaths of 34 persons, while 20 others sustained injuries.
The explosion occurred at an illegal fuel depot in Seme-Podji, a town that sits near the border with Nigeria.
Speaking with reporters, Alassane Seidou, minister of interior in Benin Republic, said two babies were among the dead.
“Unfortunately we have 34 deaths including two babies. Their bodies are charred because the cause of the fire is smuggled fuel,” Seidou said.
He added that those who sustained injuries are receiving treatment in hospital.
Some of the petrol smuggled from oil rich Nigeria often ends up in Seme-Podji.
TikTok issues new guidelines to users for AI-generated content
Polytechnic lecturers demand salary review
Lagos state government shuts another market over environmental issues
Nigeria loses bid to host AFCON 2027
‘The Black Book’ ranks number 1 globally on Netflix
Money management tips based on your personality
Naira hits all-time low, trades N1,000/$ at parallel market
Osimhen’s agent threatens legal action against Napoli
Iyabo Ojo urges Nigerians to be patient for Mohbad’s autopsy results
Three injured, one missing as gunmen attack off-campus students of Nasarawa Poly
Shakira charged with fresh $7 million tax fraud, faces jail term
Mohbad records 6 entries on top 10 of TurnTable Top 100
Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.
She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others
News5 days ago
Suspect arrested for injecting Mohbad is not a registered nurse — Association
Entertainment7 days ago
Mohbad’s gains Billboard recognition after demise
Entertainment7 days ago
Mohbad: We may involve Interpol, declare suspects wanted, says police
News1 week ago
Tribunal to deliver judgment in Kano guber dispute via Zoom
Business1 week ago
How to budget on a N300,000 salary
Celebrities1 week ago
Harrysong narrates how he almost died in the hands of his former label, Five Star Music
Business6 days ago
Strike looms as NLC’s ultimatum expires today
News1 week ago
Motorist squeezes FRSC personnel to death in Lagos