Niger’s military leaders have announced that they have closed the country’s airspace.
Reading a statement on national television on Sunday, Amadou Abdramane, spokesperson for the junta, said they were closing the country’s airspace until further notice due to “the threat of intervention”.
“In the face of the threat of intervention, which is becoming clearer through the preparation of neighbouring countries, Niger’s airspace is closed from this day on Sunday for all aircraft until further notice,” he said.
“Niger’s armed forces and all our defence and security forces, backed by the unfailing support of our people, are ready to defend the integrity of our territory.”
It warned that any attempt to violate the country’s airspace would be met with an “energetic and immediate response”.
The military warned that “any state involved will be considered co-belligerent”.
The move comes as the Economic Community of West African States’ (ECOWAS) deadline for the release of President Mohamed Bazoum expires.
At a meeting on July 30 presided over by President Bola Tinubu, ECOWAS chairperson, the organisation issued sanctions against Niger, asking the military junta to reinstate the ousted president.
ECOWAS said it would take all necessary measures, including the use of force, if Bazoum is not reinstated within a week of the meeting.
Despite several additional calls for the release of the Niger president, the junta has not yielded grounds.
ECOWAS has also not said what its next steps would be after the expiration of the deadline.
Burkina Faso reports another failed coup attempt
Burkina Faso’s military junta announced on Wednesday that a coup attempt had been thwarted the previous day by security and intelligence services, without providing specifics on what had happened according to multiple reports.
In a statement, it declared that officers and others had conspired to destabilize the country with “the dark intention of attacking the institutions of the Republic and plunging our country into chaos.”
The junta did not identify anyone but mentioned that some arrests had been made, and searches were ongoing for others. It emphasized, “Investigations will help unmask the instigators of this plot.”
The military prosecutor later revealed that four individuals had been detained, and two were currently evading capture. In a statement, it announced that an investigation had been initiated on Wednesday based on “credible allegations about a plot against state security implicating officers.”
Additionally, the junta took action on Monday by suspending the French news magazine Jeune Afrique for publishing “untruthful” articles that reported tension and discontent within Burkina Faso’s armed forces.
Junta leader Captain Ibrahim Traoré seized power on September 30, 2022, marking the landlocked country’s second coup in eight months. Both takeovers were partly driven by discontent over failures to contain a rampant jihadist insurgency that had infiltrated from neighbouring Mali in 2015.
Over 100 killed in fire at wedding in Iraq (Video)
More than 100 people have reportedly been killed and 150 others injured after a fire broke out at a packed wedding hall in northern Iraq.
The incident took place on Tuesday evening in Qaraqosh, Iraq’s biggest Christian town.
The main cause of the inferno remains sketchy — although early reports said it broke out after fireworks were lit.
Speaking with reporters on Wednesday, Abdul Amir Al-Shammari, the country’s interior minister, said: “justice will be served to those who were negligent”.
“The hall did not meet safety criteria. Because of the fireworks the ceiling collapsed on the people in the hall,” he added.
State media reported that the interior minister issued four arrest warrants for the owners of the wedding hall, while President Abdul Latif Rashid called for an investigation into the fire outbreak.
It was gathered that there were 1,300 guests who attended the wedding ceremony when the blaze broke out.
Videos shared on social media showed the couple on the dance floor before the fire ripped through the hall.
Firefighters could be seen climbing over the wreckage of the building in search of survivors on Wednesday morning.
Mohammed Shia al-Sudani, Iraq’s prime minister, said building inspections would be carried out with “the relevant authorities held accountable for any negligence”.
He also declared three days of national mourning.
Taking to X, the president of Iraq said he had told officials to “mobilise all efforts to provide relief to those affected by the unfortunate incident”.
It is unclear if the bride and groom survived.
EU says ‘X’ is worst social media platform for misinformation
The European Union (EU) Commission has declared that X, formerly Twitter, is the social media platform with the largest ratio of misinformation and disinformation posts.
The Commission’s Vice-President for Values and Transparency, Vera Jourova, stated this on Tuesday in a statement on the EU Code of Practice on Disinformation. She said X performed woefully during a pilot test of a new methodology developed by the Code signatories.
While other platforms like YouTube, TikTok, Microsoft, and Meta’s family apps were said to have taken some measures to address disinformation, X is said to be harbouring more disinformation actors.
But for the X owner, Elon Musk, his agenda is to use the platform to promote ‘free speech’ for people all over the world. Musk has yet to respond to the EU’s claim as of the time of filing this report.
X, former Twitter, who is not under the Code anymore is the platform with the largest ratio of mis/disinformation posts. The pilot also showed that disinformation actors were found to have significantly more followers than their non-disinformation counterparts and tend to have joined the platform more recently than non-disinformation users,” Jourova declared.
‘FG is highly insensitive, we’ll shut down services’ — NUPENG to join NLC protest
Police detain Sam Larry amid probe into Mohbad’s death
EFCC arraigns Emee Oil CEO, Florence Onojame for allegedly defrauding Access Bank of N4.4bn
Mohbad was suicidal… he surrounded himself with cultists, says Naira Marley
Eriscofood to sue customer for N5 billion over defamation post
Tribunal sacks Kaduna Governor Uba Sani, says election inconclusive
Independence Day: FG declares next week Monday public holiday
NIMET warns of 48-hour heavy rainfall across 24 states
Ex-FIRS boss Nami approved N11bn suspicious payments after his sack – Sources
AAU graduate attempts suicide over withheld results
Beans and fried plantains might be a deadly food combination, here’s why
Mohbad: I’ll return to Nigeria if my safety is guaranteed, says Naira Marley
Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.
She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others
News6 days ago
Suspect arrested for injecting Mohbad is not a registered nurse — Association
Entertainment1 week ago
Mohbad’s gains Billboard recognition after demise
Entertainment1 week ago
Mohbad: We may involve Interpol, declare suspects wanted, says police
News1 week ago
Tribunal to deliver judgment in Kano guber dispute via Zoom
Celebrities1 week ago
Harrysong narrates how he almost died in the hands of his former label, Five Star Music
Business7 days ago
Strike looms as NLC’s ultimatum expires today
Business4 days ago
Ways to access part of your pension before retirement
News1 week ago
Hackers take over X account of Trump’s son, claim father is dead