Canadian rapper Tory Lanez, convicted of shooting US artist Megan Thee Stallion in the feet during a drunken argument after a Hollywood party, was sentenced Tuesday to 10 years in prison.
A Los Angeles judge handed down the sentence after hearing how Lanez had ordered the hip-hop star to “Dance, bitch” as he shot at her several times while she stood on the road.
The sentencing follows Lanez’s conviction in December for assault with a semiautomatic firearm, discharging a firearm with gross negligence, and carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle.
Prosecutors had requested a 13-year sentence, claiming Lanez had caused physical and emotional scarring to the “WAP” performer.
Lanez’s attorneys had asked for him to be given probation or three years in prison, and mandatory rehab, including for alcohol addiction.
In a protracted sentencing hearing that began Monday, Judge David Herriford said he had received more than 70 letters on Lanez’s behalf, including from his celebrity friends.
One was from musician Iggy Azalea, whom he said had requested a sentence that was “transformational, not life-destroying.”
Another came from Lanez’s young son.
But the judge ordered Lanez — who has been in jail since his conviction — to serve a decade behind bars.
He said the prosecution had proven two aggravating factors, involving the use of weapon and a particularly vulnerable victim, but had not proven that the crime involved a high degree of cruelty, viciousness or callousness.
Megan Thee Stallion — whose real name is Megan Pete — had been in a car with Lanez, his bodyguard and her friend Kelsey Harris after a party at Kylie Jenner’s luxury home in July 2020.
She and Lanez — whose real name is Daystar Peterson — had developed an intimate relationship in the months before the incident.
Harris, who only learned of the sexual relationship that night, had a “crush” on Lanez, she told the court, and an argument then erupted in the car, with Megan Thee Stallion demanding to be let out of the vehicle.
The “Savage” rapper said she saw Lanez pointing a gun at her and opening fire “after he said, ‘Dance, bitch.’”
Megan Thee Stallion told the court during the trial she felt she had “been turned into some kind of villain,” in the wake of the shooting, with the male-dominated rap world frequently seeming to be against her.
In a statement read in court Monday, she said she had not experienced “a single day of peace” since she was shot in July 2020.
“He not only shot me. He made a mockery of my trauma,” she said.
EFCC arraigns Emee Oil CEO, Florence Onojame for allegedly defrauding Access Bank of N4.4bn
Florence Onojame, the chief executive officer (CEO) of Emee Oil and Gas Nigeria Limited, has been arraigned before the Ikeja special offences court for allegedly defrauding Access Bank of N4.4 billion.
According to NAN, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), on Thursday, filed a three-count charge of conspiracy, stealing, and receiving fraudulently obtained property against Onojame.
Fatai Mohammed, the EFCC counsel, said Onojame and four others (who are still at large) allegedly committed the crime in February 2022 in Lagos.
The EFCC counsel said the N4.4 billion was stolen and transferred through Primusplus — an electronic banking platform of Access Bank — by Onojame.
The anti-graft lawyer also said she used Emee Oil and Gas login details to carry out the transfer and deposited the money into several accounts in Access Bank.
Onojame, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges, which the EFCC said breached sections 278, 326, and 409 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
During the court proceedings, Williams Onate, the defence counsel, prayed that the court should order a short adjournment for the hearing of the bail application.
Onate also asked that the court should remand the defendant in the custody of the EFCC pending the bail hearing.
But Mojisola Dada, the judge, ruled that the defendant be remanded at the Ikoyi Correctional Centre.
The hearing of the bail application was adjourned to October 10, 2023.
Police arrests Chioma Egodi after giving bad review about Erisco product
The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) has confirmed the arrest of Chioma Egodi, a consumer who gave a review of an Erisco Foods product.
On September 17, Egodi made a post on Facebook, stating that she tasted Nagiko Tomato Mix, one of the tomato paste variants of Erisco Foods Limited, and found it sugary.
She shared a picture of the opened can of tomato paste alongside her post. Edogi has since deleted the post.
“I went to buy Tin tomatoes yesterday that I will use to make stew, I didn’t see Gino and Sonia, so I decided to buy this one. When I opened it, I decided to taste it omo! Sugar is just too much! Haaa biko let me know if you have used this Tin tomato before because this is an ike gwuru situation,” she wrote.
Reacting in a statement, Erisco Foods Limited described the claim as untrue and unfounded.
The company said the post was intended to mislead its customers and discredit the image of Erisco Foods Limited “as previously instigated by some elements and syndicates who are uncomfortable with our increasing market dominance as a leading indigenous manufacturer of 100% natural tomato pastes”.
Erisco Foods added that it has “decided to bring the said publication to the attention of relevant authorities”.
“While we recognize the rights of our consumers to make genuine observations about our products, we want to thank our esteemed customers for their continued patronage of Erisco Foods Limited,” the statement reads.
“However, having built our reputation on healthy and quality products which have earned us both local and international awards including National Productivity Order of Merit Award, we will take all necessary actions against any malicious attack on our reputation.”
On Sunday, reports of Egodi’s arrest began making waves on social media, with many demanding her release and calling for the boycott of Erisco Foods.
Responding to one of such posts on X, Babatunde Irukera, executive vice-chairman of the FCCPC, said reports of the arrest have been brought to the commission’s attention.
He added that a team is seeking to clarify the arrest and secure an explanation from Erisco Foods.
In a subsequent post on the social media platform, Irukera said the FCCPC has confirmed the arrest and transfer of the consumer to Abuja by the police.
“@fccpcnigeria operatives have confirmed arrest & transfer of the case to Abuja by the Police Force. She was no longer at the station on arrival. Working to determine exact current location & engaging Force HQ in Abuja. Summons being issued to @EriscoFoodsLtd immediately,” the post reads.
Abuja-bound loads of Nitrous Oxide ‘laughing gas’ consignments seized on highway
..As NDLEA destroys 40 tons of cannabis plants in Ekiti; intercepts over 4,000kgs of illicit drugs in Lagos, Kogi, FCT, Kaduna, Sokoto, Edo raids
Over four tons of illicit and controlled drugs including consignments of nitrous oxide popularly known as laughing gas, skunk, codeine syrup, methamphetamine and tramadol have been intercepted by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, during interdiction operations in Lagos, Kogi, FCT, Jigawa, Kaduna, Sokoto and Edo states.
No fewer than 1,194 cylinders of laughing gas with a total weight of 2,547.2 kilograms loaded in two Toyota Sienna buses were on Friday 22nd September intercepted by NDLEA operatives along Okene-Lokoja-Abuja expressway.
Two suspects: Onyebuchi Ikpozu and Kenneth Igwe who were taking the consignments to the nation’s Federal Capital Territory for distribution have been arrested and taken into custody.
While one of the Toyota Sienna buses marked KTU 582 HV was conveying 99 cartons containing 594 cylinders weighing 1,267.200kgs, the second bus with registration number FKJ 329 YA was conveying 100 cartons of the substance with 600 cylinders weighing 1,280kgs.
A 48-year-old woman, Mrs. Ugo Eluba was also arrested in Abuja in a follow up operation after 2,400 ampules of pentazocine injection and 100,000 tablets of Exol-5 intercepted in Kogi state were traced to her.
In the FCT, operatives intercepted 977 kilograms of skunk on Wednesday 20th September in a trailer marked LSR 343 XW, bearing cartons of maggi.
The skunk consignment was loaded into the truck at Ipele junction in Ondo state. While 959kgs of the substance were meant for distribution in Sokoto state, the rest was to be dropped off at Gwagwalada.
Two suspects: Auwal Mohammed and Abdullahi Abubakar have been arrested in connection with the seizure, while two other suspects: Mutari Abdulazeez, 31, and Ayuba Madaki, 28, were also arrested on Saturday 23rd September at Zuba area of the FCT with different quantities of
methamphetamine, cannabis and 13, 930 pills of tramadol.
In the same vein, Shuaibu Yusif, 27, and Abubakar Hussaini, 20, were on Saturday 23rd September nabbed with 89.1kgs of skunk along Kano -Hadejia road, Jigawa state during a stop and search patrol by NDLEA operatives.
No fewer than 6,000 ampules of pentazocine injection were recovered from a suspect, Usman Musa Sidi, 35, on Monday 18th September along Abuja – Forest road, Kaduna while on his way to Bauchi state.
A follow up operation in Bauchi led to the arrest of the actual owner of the consignment, Dominic Chukwuma, 35, on Tuesday 19th September, with at least 2.58kgs of Diazepam and 36.55kgs of pentazocine injection recovered from his home.
Two other suspects: Inuwa Nuhu and Isiyaku Dahiru Sani were also arrested same Tuesday in connection with the seizure of 49 blocks of cannabis sativa concealed in a black sack weighing 26kgs in a commercial vehicle coming from Ogere, Ogun state to Kano.
While a total of 183kgs of Ghana Loud, a strain of cannabis, were recovered from body compartments of a J5 bus intercepted in Lagos on Wednesday 20th September, operatives in Sokoto, on Tuesday 19th September arrested one Charles Okeke, 44, with 473 bottles of codeine syrup at Unguwar Kosai area of Sokoto.
In Edo state, 365 blocks of compressed cannabis sativa weighing 258kgs were recovered from a Toyota Camry car marked KTU 886 EZ at Igarra, Akoko Edo LGA.
In a massive operation between Monday 11th and Wednesday 13th September, NDLEA operatives stormed thick forests in Ijesha Isu-Ekiti, Ikole Local Government Area of Ekiti state, where they destroyed 40 tons (40,000 kilograms) of cannabis plants covering 16 hectares of farmland.
Meanwhile, across the country, NDLEA Commands continued their War Against Drug Abuse, WADA, sensitization lectures and advocacy visits to worship centres, schools, workplaces, palaces of traditional rulers and communities all through the week.
Instances include: WADA sensitization lecture at Madarasatu Tarbiyyatil Aulad Islamiyyah Izala Mosque, Sabon Gari Wudil, Wudil LGA, Kano; WADA sensitisation town hall meeting with principals of secondary schools in Kaduna north and south LGAs organized by the Zone J command of the Agency; WADA advocacy visit to the palace of Igwe Emmanuel Ugwu, traditional ruler of Ibagwa Nike, Enugu state and WADA sensitisation lecture for students of the Oyo State College of Science and Health Technology, Ibadan, among others.
While commending the officers and men of the Lagos, FCT, Kaduna, Jigawa, Kogi, Sokoto and Edo Commands of the Agency for the arrests and seizures of the past week, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Retd) also applauded their compatriots in all the commands across the country for intensifying the WADA sensitization lectures and advocacy messages to every part of their areas of responsibility.
Director, Media & Advocacy
NDLEA Headquarters Abuja
Sunday 24th September 2023
‘FG is highly insensitive, we’ll shut down services’ — NUPENG to join NLC protest
Police detain Sam Larry amid probe into Mohbad’s death
EFCC arraigns Emee Oil CEO, Florence Onojame for allegedly defrauding Access Bank of N4.4bn
Mohbad was suicidal… he surrounded himself with cultists, says Naira Marley
Eriscofood to sue customer for N5 billion over defamation post
Tribunal sacks Kaduna Governor Uba Sani, says election inconclusive
Independence Day: FG declares next week Monday public holiday
NIMET warns of 48-hour heavy rainfall across 24 states
Ex-FIRS boss Nami approved N11bn suspicious payments after his sack – Sources
AAU graduate attempts suicide over withheld results
Beans and fried plantains might be a deadly food combination, here’s why
Mohbad: I’ll return to Nigeria if my safety is guaranteed, says Naira Marley
Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.
She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others
News6 days ago
Suspect arrested for injecting Mohbad is not a registered nurse — Association
Entertainment1 week ago
Mohbad’s gains Billboard recognition after demise
Entertainment1 week ago
Mohbad: We may involve Interpol, declare suspects wanted, says police
News1 week ago
Tribunal to deliver judgment in Kano guber dispute via Zoom
Celebrities1 week ago
Harrysong narrates how he almost died in the hands of his former label, Five Star Music
Business7 days ago
Strike looms as NLC’s ultimatum expires today
Business4 days ago
Ways to access part of your pension before retirement
News1 week ago
Hackers take over X account of Trump’s son, claim father is dead