Connect with us

News

FG to sue hospital over death of one chance victim in Abuja

Published

on

Uju Ohanenye, the minister of women affairs, says a pre-action letter will be sent to staff of the Maitama general hospital over the death of Greatness Olorunfemi, a victim of ‘one chance’.

She said this while addressing journalists on Monday in Abuja.

WHAT IS ‘ONE CHANCE’?

‘One chance’ is a type of robbery in which unsuspecting passengers are lured into commercial vehicles whose occupants are robbers.

The robbers then attack and strip the victims of all their valuables.

On September 26, Olorunfemi was said to have been pushed off a moving vehicle, believed to be a ‘one chance’ car, along the Maitama-Kubwa expressway.

She was left severely injured and was rushed to the hospital for medical attention.

However, she was allegedly rejected by the officers on duty at the healthcare facility, who insisted on a police report.

She was reported to have died moments later.

‘WE ARE GIVING THEM 7 DAYS TO REPLY’

“We were able to get the names of those on duty that day, the medical director and chief matron, accident and emergency,” Ohanenye said.

“We will sue the staff, which will make others sit up.

“We have written a pre-action letter, which they will get to tell them about our intention to take them to court. And we are giving them seven days to reply to that.

“Then after the seven days pre-action notice, the ministry of women affairs through the minister for women affairs will stand for the lady, all Nigerian women and girls to defend them on this issue of treating them any how.”

The minister also said her office would write to the national assembly to also take up the matter and see that justice is served.

“Then we are writing to public complaints committee at the national assembly to look into the matter and call not only these people but all the CMDs of hospitals in FCT and even across,” she said.

“They need to summon them for these issues to be addressed once and for all. Nigerians cannot continue dying carelessly like that.

“Then we are equally writing to the senate president on the same issue.”

She also said even though they had been informed that the ministry had been added to the investigative panel on the matter, they were yet to receive any official letter to that effect.

News

Tinubu confirms Wura-Ola Adepoju as substantive immigration CG

Published

on

By

President Bola Tinubu has confirmed the appointment of Wura-Ola Adepoju as the substantive comptroller-general (CG) of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS).

Adepoju reportedly disclosed the development to staff of the NIS during the comptroller-general’s parade on Wednesday.

“You may also wish to know, that through the grace of God and by the benevolence of the present government, I have been confirmed as a substantive comptroller-general of immigration,” she said.

She added that the date for decoration would be announced soon.

Anyanwu Ifeanyi, spokesperson for the NIS, confirmed the development to newsmen.

“Yes, she has been confirmed as comptroller-general,” he said in a text message.

On May 29, Adepoju was appointed acting CG, replacing Isah Jere whose tenure expired on May 29.

Stakeholders had commended the appointment of Adepoju as the first south-western, female acting comptroller-general of the NIS, describing it as historic.

The stakeholders said the appointment will inspire female officers to give the best to their careers in hopes of reaching the peak.

The Yoruba Heritage Group had also lauded Tinubu for the appointment, commending him for “breaking the jinx” by allowing a Yoruba person in the position.

The group had also appealed to Tinubu to confirm Adepoju’s appointment as the substantive immigration CG, adding that she has the competence and capacity to push reforms that will transform the service.

Continue Reading

News

EFCC warns Nigerians against Facebook user claiming to be Olukoyede

Published

on

By

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has cautioned Nigerians against dealing with a Facebook user parading himself as Ola Olukoyede, chairman of the anti-graft agency.

Dele Oyewale, EFCC head of media and publicity, in a statement on Wednesday, said the impersonator has been advertising a telephone line claiming to be Olukoyede’s “private line”.

He urged the public to be wary of the antics of the impostor, adding that efforts are ongoing to bring him to book.

“An impersonator parading himself as the Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mr. Ola Olukoyede is on Facebook,” the statement reads.

“The fake Olukoyede has also been advertising a phony telephone line, 08028189925 as the “private line” of the EFCC’s boss.

“The public is enjoined to be wary of the antics of the impersonator, while efforts are being made to bring him to book.”

The development comes hours after the EFCC alerted Nigerians to how fraudsters are swapping automated teller machine (ATM) cards of innocent people.

The anti-graft agency in a statement on Tuesday said the fraudulent practice is gaining momentum across the country

Continue Reading

News

Emefiele fails to meet ₦300 million bail, to remain in prison till January 2024

Published

on

By

The former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, is set to spend more time behind bars as he failed to produce the ₦300 million bail amount specified by the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court.

The court had earlier granted him bail on charges related to corrupt practices.

Justice Hamza Muazu of the Federal Capital Territory High Court Abuja had initially granted bail to Emefiele in the sum of ₦300 million, along with two sureties in like sum. The bail application was filed by his legal representative, Mathew Burkaa, SAN.

This decision comes after the former CBN governor had previously been granted bail by the Federal High Court in Lagos, where he was required to pay ₦20 million.

The charges against Emefiele include allegations of corruptly conferring advantages on individuals and a company, as outlined in a six-count charge. Among the charges are the award of contracts for the supply of vehicles and other services, totaling over ₦1.2 billion.

The charges specify instances where Emefiele is accused of corruptly conferring advantages on Sa’adatu Ramallan Yaro, a CBN staff, by awarding contracts for the supply of 37 Hilux vehicles at a cost of ₦854.7 million in 2018.

Additionally, he is alleged to have conferred an advantage on a company with a CBN staff as a director by awarding a contract for the supply of one Toyota Avallon at the cost of ₦99.0 million.

The charges also involve the illegal award of contracts for the supply of Toyota Land Cruiser V8 vehicles, with one incident in 2019 at the cost of ₦73.0 million and another in 2020 at the cost of ₦73.8 million.

Furthermore, Emefiele is accused of illegally awarding contracts for the supply of two Toyota Hilux in 2020 at ₦44.2 million and engaging in the illegal purchase of 43 vehicles between 2018 and 2020, amounting to ₦1.2 billion.

Continue Reading

Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.

She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others

Most Read...