The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says it will sanction and prosecute fleet operators who violate safety standards across the country.
Dauda Biu, FRSC corps marshal, spoke in Abuja on Thursday during the 2023 annual safety managers retreat.
Biu, who was represented by Amuche Nwaka, assistant corps marshal, said the FRSC would no longer tolerate the failure of fleet operators to adhere strictly to the terms of the road transport safety standardisation Scheme (RTSSS).
The FRSC boss said the retreat was intended to appraise and address notable observations made by the corps regarding the management of fleet operations in the country in the last one year.
He said investigations revealed that most recorded fleet operations-related crashes in the country could have been avoided if the concerned safety managers had been committed to their roles.
“This retreat is, therefore, a wake-up call to all of us to further justify our roles as safety managers,” NAN quoted Biu as saying.
“Specific lapses observed included non-installation of speed limit device (SLD), tampering with the already installed device, calibration above the approved speed limits, connivance with unscrupulous vendors for issuance of compliance certificates without actual installation, and so on.
“These shall no longer be tolerated as the corps will not hesitate to sanction non-compliant operators henceforth.
“All observed non-compliant fleet operators in any of the identified areas will be served with pre-action notices for prosecution and there is no going back on this.
“Fleet operators who refused to allow certification teams access to their premises will be prosecuted in accordance with the law.
“Fleet operators who fail to meet certification standards twice will be suspended from operations.
“Certified vehicle stickers shall be issued only for vehicles installed with functional speed limiting devices.”
FG to begin Lagos-Sagamu Long Bridge repairs on Monday
The federal government says repair of damaged sections on the Long Bridge, along the Lagos-Sagamu expressway, will commence on Monday.
In a statement on Friday, Olukorede Kesha, the federal controller of works in Lagos state, said the repair work on the bridge will end on March 25.
“The Federal Ministry of Works wishes to inform the motoring public that repair works for the damaged expansion joints on the Long Bridge will commence by Monday, 4th March 2024 simultaneously on both bounds of the bridge,” the statement reads.
“Consequently, traffic leaving and entering Lagos through the Long Bridge will be narrowed to two lanes on both sides of the bridge to enable the contractor handling the repair works to commence works on the other two lanes of the carriageways.
“Thus, all road users are advised to be patient and adhere to lane discipline on both approaches to the Long Bridge and around the narrowed sections on the bridge.”
Kesha said the earth road beside the Sagamu bound carriageway will be made motorable to serve as a complementary road.
She advised motorists to use alternative routes and cooperate with traffic management officials deployed to ensure hitch-free movements, in order to minimise discomfort during the duration of the repair works.
Anambra among states with high drug abuse prevalence, says NDLEA
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says Anambra is among states with high prevalence of drug abuse cases in the country.
Daniel Onyishi, Anambra state commander of the NDLEA, disclosed this on Friday when he led officers on a visit to Nonye Soludo, wife of the Anambra state governor, in Awka, the state capital.
Onyishi said the growing drug abuse cases in the country call for concern, adding that in 2018 alone, the agency intercepted 3.38 tons of drugs in Anambra state.
“According to statistics, Nigeria alone has 14.4 percent drug abuse prevalence rate, as against the global 5.5 percent world prevalence rate,” NAN quoted him as saying.
“One of the reasons for this visit is to formally welcome Mrs. Soludo as the chairperson of Anambra state drug control committee.
“This committee will be an action-driven crusade that will see to the complete elimination of drug use in Anambra state.”
Responding, the first lady said she was prepared to work with the agency and lead the ongoing fight against drug abuse in the state.
“These are scary statistics and we need a more sincere and committed approach to the war against drugs, beginning from identifying the producers of these deadly substances,” she said.
“Although my initiative, Healthy Living with Nonye Soludo, has been leading the drug elimination campaign in Anambra.
“But there is a great need for a united response in the face of what drug abuse is doing to the society, especially among our youths.
“I promise to work closely with the agency, advocate for a stronger community involvement in the fight and the need to follow up every case until justice is served.”
Olu Agunloye files N1 billion suit against EFCC for declaring him wanted
Former Minister of Power and Steel, Dr Olu Agunloye, under ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo’s government, has lodged a lawsuit against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), demanding N1 billion.
The lawsuit, filed under the case number FHC/ABJ/CS/167/2024 by Agunloye’s legal team led by Mr Adeola Adedipe, SAN, includes the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) as an additional defendant alongside the original filing.
Currently, the lawsuit is being heard by Justice Emeka Nwite at the Federal High Court in Abuja, with the hearing date scheduled for April 18.
The former minister Is seeking six forms of legal relief, one of which includes a statement affirming that the EFCC does not have the legal authority to use its discretionary powers or functions, as outlined in Sections 1(2)©, 6, 7, 13 of the EFCC Act, 2004, and similarly Section 4 of the Police Act 2020, to declare him wanted on its website or any similar platform.
He, therefore, sought an order for the EFCC, its agents, privies, representatives and other related affiliates to forthwith remove his picture, name, references, details and or particulars from the wanted list published on its official website or any other related platform.
He said, “The EFCC and the AGF both jointly or severally, whether by themselves or their staff, from further declaring the plaintiff wanted about the particulars and subject matter of this suit, either on the EFCC official website, newspaper publication or any other related platform, except by a judicial intervention and recourse to all constitutional safeguards available to him in law and equity.
“General damages of one billion naira (N1, 000, 000, 000 00) against the defendants, especially the 1st defendant cost of action.”
JUST IN: Mr Ibu is dead
Chef Smith’s cook-a-thon attempt surpasses 700 hours
FG invites heads of AEDC, IBEDC over poor power supply
Hold Harrysong if anything happens to my kids, says estranged wife
Brian Mulroney, former Canadian PM, dies at 84
Ghana’s electricity company cuts power supply to parliament over $1.8m debt
Abia State University lecturer, student set wedding date after viral valentine’s day proposal
FG to begin Lagos-Sagamu Long Bridge repairs on Monday
CBN revokes licences of 4,173 BDCs
SSANU, NASU issue seven-day ultimatum to FG over withheld salaries
Mavin records signee Bayanni speaks on how he survived a near-death experience
How to link NIN/BVN to your account
Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.
She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others
Business2 days ago
NAFDAC cracks down on unregistered sachet water factories in Anambra
News1 week ago
Lagos state government announces free delivery including CS at Government Hospitals
News1 week ago
Wigwe’s Family Warns RCCG Not To Attend Access Bank Founder’s Funeral
Business1 week ago
Japa: Canada amends work permit rules for Nigerians, other foreign students
Politics1 week ago
Monday Okpebholo wins Edo APC guber rerun primary election
Celebrities1 week ago
“He thought I slept with his babe” – Shatta Wale speaks on beef with Burna Boy
Entertainment1 week ago
Stephen Alajemba narrates how ladies avoided him due to his facial appearance
Business1 week ago
Eight tips to cope amid rising food prices