Raphael Dwamena, former Ghanaian international footballer, has slumped and died during a match in the Albanian Super League.
The 28-year-old footballer was in action for FK Egnatia against Partizani when the incident happened in the 24th minute of the game.
In a video of the incident shared on X, the striker is seen going to the floor as both sides waited for a goal kick.
Players, officials and medical staff all rushed towards the player, with an ambulance entering the pitch seconds later.
Dwamena was however pronounced dead at the hospital, as confirmed by the Albania Football Association (FSHF) in a statement.
FSHF shpreh tronditjen e thellë për tragjedinë e ndodhur sot në Egnatia-Partizani, ku humbi jetën futbollisti Raphael Dwamena.— FSHF (@FSHForg) November 11, 2023
FSHF i shpreh ngushëllimet më të thella familjes Dwamena dhe klubit të Egnatias për këtë humbje të madhe.
Më tepër, në https://t.co/BCR50lKCoi. pic.twitter.com/zfIreHy1sI
“The FSHF expresses its deep shock over the tragedy that happened today in Egnatia-Partizani, where football player Raphael Dwamena lost his life,” the statement reads.
“The FSHF expresses its deepest condolences to the Dwamena family and the Egnatia club for this great loss.”
Condolence messages have been offered, with the Ghanaian Football Association taking the lead to console their former player.
Our thoughts are with the family of Raphael Dwamena at this difficult time.— Ghana Football Association (@ghanafaofficial) November 11, 2023
Raphael represented Ghana wholeheartedly and paid his dues to the country until his unfortunate passing.
We will forever miss him for his dedication to the National Coarse.
Rest In Peace Raphael!🙏🏾🕊️ pic.twitter.com/aI4J1n6RF2
“Our thoughts are with the family of Raphael Dwamena at this difficult time,” the statement reads.
“Raphael represented Ghana wholeheartedly and paid his dues to the country until his unfortunate passing.
“We will forever miss him for his dedication to the National Coarse.
“Rest In Peace Raphael!🙏🏾🕊️.”
Dwamena, who had previously been advised to quit football due to heart issues, represented Ghana nine times and scored twice.
He featured for nine different European clubs before his death.
Sporting Lagos get N1m fine over fans unruliness during NPFL game
The board of the Nigeria Premier Football League (NPFL) has imposed a fine of N1 million on Sporting Lagos FC over the unruliness of the club’s fans during their match against Heartland FC.
According to a tweet on the league’s official X account, Sporting Lagos fans threw objects on the pitch during the team’s matchday nine fixture, which finished 1-1 at the Mobolaji Johnson Stadium, on Sunday.
The league body charged the Noisy Lagosians with breaching the framework and rules of the NPFL “for failing to provide adequate security”.
Sporting Lagos must pay the fine within 14 days, or failure to comply within the stipulated time would be considered a continuous breach of the league’s framework and rules.
NPFL then ordered the Lagos club to implement an effective matchday security arrangement and organise a re-orientation programme for its fans.
The league body warned the club that any recurrence would lead to severe sanctions.
Sporting Lagos are playing their first-ever season in the NPFL. The team is sitting eighth on the league table after garnering an equal number of wins, draws and losses from 12 games.
No money to pay off Peseiro if we sack him, says NFF board member
Nse Essien, a board member of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), says Jose Peseiro, Super Eagles head coach, has not been sacked because the federation cannot afford the severance payment.
Essien spoke with journalists after the Eagles’ 1-1 draw against Zimbabwe in their second game of the 2026 World Cup qualification campaign.
The result left Nigeria winless in the qualifiers, having previously drawn Lesotho at the Godswill Akpabio stadium last week.
The performances have generated a lot of criticism for Peseiro, while some social media users called for his sack.
Addressing the situation, Essien said the top brass at the NFF are also “not happy” with the Portuguese and his latest streak of results with the Eagles.
He claimed Peseiro was employed by the sports ministry and not the NFF, and “not paid a dime” have been paid to the Portuguese.
“If you check the internet, almost everyone is asking for the sack of the head coach. It is unfortunate that out of six points, we have just two, and we have found ourselves in a precarious situation,” the NFF board member said.
“When you say NFF should sack the head coach, we didn’t employ him. This regime didn’t employ him when you come to look at it; it was the Sports Ministry that employed him.
“Up till now, we were supposed to have paid their salaries, but up till now, they have not paid a dime.
“When you now sack him, who pays for compensation? That is the situation we find ourselves in. Not a dime has been paid to this coach, who earns about $70,000 every month.
“We have to respect his [Jose Peseiro’s] contract. If we had the money to give to him [pay him off], why wouldn’t we relieve him? We are not happy.”
‘The money increased with each rejection’ — Osimhen speaks on declining Al-Hilal bid
Victor Osimhen, Super Eagles striker, said he refused to join Saudi Arabia’s Al-Hilal FC earlier this year because he had to “make a decision that is good for my career.”
In July, the Saudi Pro League side reportedly tabled a €140 million (£120.3m) offer to sign Osimhen from Napoli.
The 24-year-old was billed to earn wages in the region of £1 million per week if the Italian club accepted the offer.
However, the move fell through, with Osimhen opting to stay with the Parthenopeans for at least another season.
Speaking on the exorbitant bid in a chat with John Obi Mikel on the “Obi One Podcast” on Monday, the Napoli striker admitted that the Al-Hilal offer was hard to refuse and “would have changed my life amazingly”.
He added that the Saudi club never relented, and “the more I said no, the more they increased the financial offer”.
“When the offer came from Saudi Arabia, a huge offer, it was hard to refuse,” Osimhen said.
“It was a really huge decision for me to take.
“The more I said no, the more they increased the financial offer. I was like, wow! This is for real.
“I spoke to Napoli and decided to stay. But they [Al-Hilal] never gave up until the end of their transfer window.
“The transfer would have changed my life amazingly, but I just have to make a decision that is good for my career. As much as we play football for money, there is also honour that comes with it.”
5 concert safety tips that should be on your mind for Detty December
EFCC guides Nigerians on how to avoid financial losses and ATM fraud
FG okays $1bn loan from AfDB for budget support
Kyari reappointed GCEO of NNPC, Akinyelure named board chair
OAU student, Subair Enitan hospitalised after over 50-hour wash-a-thon (Video)
Actor Amaechi Mounagor is suffering from kidney disease, diabetes and stroke, says Cousin
University Don And UNESCO Expert, DR Olunifesi Suraj Seeks Global Solutions To Fake News Through International Research Collaboration
Kogi SDP, APC trade words over plot to attack INEC office
JAMB calls out tertiary institutions issuing certificates without matriculation
Ladies floods Isreal DMW’s DM asking for marriage proposals after divorce
Sierra Leone government arrests gunmen who attacked barracks, says calm has been restored
Diet tips for women with polycystic ovary syndrome
Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.
She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others
Entertainment1 week ago
SEE FULL LIST: Burna Boy, Rema win inaugural Billboard Afrobeats awards
Education3 days ago
UNILORIN announces date for Post-UTME registration
Entertainment5 days ago
SEE FULL LIST: Burna Boy tops Billboard’s 2023 US Afrobeats artistes chart
Relationships3 days ago
Isreal DMW’s estranged wife reveals cause of split, calls him ‘two-minute man’
Entertainment1 week ago
Nigerian chef, Tope Maggie breaks Irish chef, Fisher’s cooking record, awaits confirmation
Health5 days ago
Holding in urine, high caffeine consumption…See 10 common habits that damage your kidneys
Crime1 week ago
Seven years after escape from prison, NDLEA arrests wanted Abuja drug kingpin
Entertainment1 week ago
Music money is like ritual, says Shallipopi