Connect with us

News

Marwa warns NDLEA operatives against infractions

Published

on

Marwa warns NDLEA operatives against infractions

The Chairman, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), retired Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa, has warned to be firm in dealing with personnel found wanting in the discharge of their duties.

Marwa gave the warning while addressing commanders and officers of the agency during an award ceremony on Wednesday in Abuja.

He said the agency would not take infractions lightly, adding that officers were expected to work within the agency’s core values and strictly adhere to standard operating procedures.

“We expect our officers to be the epitome of service, selflessness, and sacrifice,” he added.

Marwa assured that he would not relent in his effort to improve the welfare of the NDLEA workforce.

“All the issues we are working on will soon come to fruition in a matter of time.

“For instance, we fought hard to have an amended NDLEA Act last year.

“Today, the bill is at the 10th National Assembly receiving due attention, and we are optimistic that there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

“I am also pleased to inform you that our barracks projects have recorded progress. Before the middle of the year, some of our barracks will be ready for commissioning.

“These few examples of the efforts going on behind the scenes are evidence that we are working in your best interest,” he said.

The NDLEA boss expressed appreciation to individuals and institutions contributing to the successes being recorded by the agency.

Marwa listed some of those supporting the war against illicit drugs, including the Nigerian Army, Navy, Air Force, Customs, Immigration, Police, DSS, NSCDC, NAFDAC, NYSC, and FRSC, among others.

He lauded President Bola Tinubu for his encouragement and immense support to the NDLEA.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that a total of 104 personnel and 13 state commands were presented with awards for their outstanding performance in the second half of 2023.

News

FG to begin Lagos-Sagamu Long Bridge repairs on Monday

Published

on

By

The federal government says repair of damaged sections on the Long Bridge, along the Lagos-Sagamu expressway, will commence on Monday.

In a statement on Friday, Olukorede Kesha, the federal controller of works in Lagos state, said the repair work on the bridge will end on March 25.

“The Federal Ministry of Works wishes to inform the motoring public that repair works for the damaged expansion joints on the Long Bridge will commence by Monday, 4th March 2024 simultaneously on both bounds of the bridge,” the statement reads.

“Consequently, traffic leaving and entering Lagos through the Long Bridge will be narrowed to two lanes on both sides of the bridge to enable the contractor handling the repair works to commence works on the other two lanes of the carriageways.

“Thus, all road users are advised to be patient and adhere to lane discipline on both approaches to the Long Bridge and around the narrowed sections on the bridge.”

Kesha said the earth road beside the Sagamu bound carriageway will be made motorable to serve as a complementary road.

She advised motorists to use alternative routes and cooperate with traffic management officials deployed to ensure hitch-free movements, in order to minimise discomfort during the duration of the repair works.

Continue Reading

News

Anambra among states with high drug abuse prevalence, says NDLEA

Published

on

By

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says Anambra is among states with high prevalence of drug abuse cases in the country.

Daniel Onyishi, Anambra state commander of the NDLEA, disclosed this on Friday when he led officers on a visit to Nonye Soludo, wife of the Anambra state governor, in Awka, the state capital.

Onyishi said the growing drug abuse cases in the country call for concern, adding that in 2018 alone, the agency intercepted 3.38 tons of drugs in Anambra state.

“According to statistics, Nigeria alone has 14.4 percent drug abuse prevalence rate, as against the global 5.5 percent world prevalence rate,” NAN quoted him as saying.

“One of the reasons for this visit is to formally welcome Mrs. Soludo as the chairperson of Anambra state drug control committee.

“This committee will be an action-driven crusade that will see to the complete elimination of drug use in Anambra state.”

Responding, the first lady said she was prepared to work with the agency and lead the ongoing fight against drug abuse in the state.

“These are scary statistics and we need a more sincere and committed approach to the war against drugs, beginning from identifying the producers of these deadly substances,” she said.

“Although my initiative, Healthy Living with Nonye Soludo, has been leading the drug elimination campaign in Anambra.

“But there is a great need for a united response in the face of what drug abuse is doing to the society, especially among our youths.

“I promise to work closely with the agency, advocate for a stronger community involvement in the fight and the need to follow up every case until justice is served.”

Continue Reading

News

Olu Agunloye files N1 billion suit against EFCC for declaring him wanted

Published

on

By

Former Minister of Power and Steel, Dr Olu Agunloye, under ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo’s government, has lodged a lawsuit against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), demanding N1 billion. 

The lawsuit, filed under the case number FHC/ABJ/CS/167/2024 by Agunloye’s legal team led by Mr Adeola Adedipe, SAN, includes the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) as an additional defendant alongside the original filing. 

Currently, the lawsuit is being heard by Justice Emeka Nwite at the Federal High Court in Abuja, with the hearing date scheduled for April 18. 

The former minister Is seeking six forms of legal relief, one of which includes a statement affirming that the EFCC does not have the legal authority to use its discretionary powers or functions, as outlined in Sections 1(2)©, 6, 7, 13 of the EFCC Act, 2004, and similarly Section 4 of the Police Act 2020, to declare him wanted on its website or any similar platform. 

He, therefore, sought an order for the EFCC, its agents, privies, representatives and other related affiliates to forthwith remove his picture, name, references, details and or particulars from the wanted list published on its official website or any other related platform. 

He said,  “The EFCC and the AGF both jointly or severally, whether by themselves or their staff, from further declaring the plaintiff wanted about the particulars and subject matter of this suit, either on the EFCC official website, newspaper publication or any other related platform, except by a judicial intervention and recourse to all constitutional safeguards available to him in law and equity. 

“General damages of one billion naira (N1, 000, 000, 000 00) against the defendants, especially the 1st defendant cost of action.” 

Continue Reading

Most Read...