Connect with us

Entertainment

Sony moves to acquire half of Michael Jackson’s catalogue

Published

on

Michael Jackson’s estate has reportedly sold half of the singer’s publishing and recorded music catalogue to Sony.

Billboard quotes sources as confirming that the deal valued those music assets somewhere above $1.2 billion.

The sources say Sony is expected to pay at least $600 million for the estate’s stake in the late pop singer’s rights.

The news outlet said the agreement excludes royalties from theatrical productions such as the Broadway play featuring Jackson’s music.

Billboard stated that the comprehensive deal encompasses non-Jackson-authored compositions within his Mijac publishing catalogue.

It includes approximately 250 songs from Sly & the Family Stone.

This is alongside iconic tracks from artistes like Jerry Lee Lewis, Jackie Wilson, Curtis Mayfield, Ray Charles, Percy Sledge, and Dion.

It is understood that Primary Wave, a music company with a minority stake in Jackson’s publishing interests, is uninvolved in the deal.

Representatives from Primary Wave, Sony, and the Micheal Jackson Estate are yet to comment on the matter.

Jackson was long associated with Sony and its label, which released his mega-selling solo albums like ‘Thriller’ and ‘Bad’.

In 2016, 21 years after Jackson and Sony formed Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Sony bought out his half of the company.

The sale happened in a deal that netted the Jackson Estate at $750 million.

Jackson acquired ATV Music Publishing, which owned publishing rights to the majority of the Beatles’ music, in 1985 for $41.5 million.

The singer merged his stake in ATV with Sony Music to form Sony/ATV eleven years later.

Entertainment

‘Asake will cut his hair, become a pastor by end of 2024’ — Nigerian prophet, Gideon Isah declares

Published

on

By

Gideon Isah, the Nigerian prophet, says Asake, the award-winning singer, will “become a pastor by the end of 2024”.

Isah gave his prophecy at about the same when the ‘Lonely At The Top’ hitmaker provoked outrage on social media over his controversial visuals for ‘Only Me’, his hit single.

Asake, a Muslim, was accused of “disrespecting the Christian faith” in his music videos.

In the now-viral video posted on his TikTok page, Isah prophesied that Asake would “cut off his hair” and start “preaching all around the world”.

The cleric, who is the founder of Apostle Gideon Isah Ministries, claimed that the singer’s mother had been told of her son’s greatness earlier by a “celebrity pastor”.

Isah –who referred to himself as the “first son of Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin” — also said Asake has deviated from his mother’s promise to God. He added that “God is going to arrest him”.

“There is a Nigerian musician that God wants to use him. His name is Asake. God wants to use him as a pastor. He is going for a barb all his hair and he will become a pastor,” he said.

“I am prophesying. I’m not telling you. This is what God said that Asake is going to become a pastor who will be preaching all around the world. He should ask his mother when his mother was looking for him.

“She went to a celebrity pastor and the pastor prayed for her and he told her she was going to carry a baby boy and the boy would be great.

“The mother said if she can have that boy she is going to allow the boy to do anything God wants. And he has deviated. God wants him back and God is going to arrest him. And the arrest is going to come before the end of 2024. Watch out and see.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Kate Henshaw loses mum

Published

on

By

Kate Henshaw, the Nollywood actress, has lost her mother.

Emeka Rollas, the president of the Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN), confirmed the news in a post on his Instagram page on Saturday.

Rollas shared his condolences to the family of the ace actress.

The AGN president also described the demise of Henshaw’s mother as a “sad day” for the AGN.

“Sad Day for Actors Guild of Nigeria. Kate Henshaw lost her mother earlier today,” he wrote.

The actress is the public relations officer of the AGN.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

JUST IN: Mr Ibu is dead

Published

on

By

John Okafor, the ace Nollywood actor popularly known as Mr Ibu, has passed away.

In October last year, the ace actor revealed he was battling with a life-threatening illness.

Ibu, who spoke from a hospital bed, also cried out for financial assistance over the medical condition.

The film star’s plight prompted calls on social media for the Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN) to assist one of its own.

Several people announced their donations to the ailing actor, including the Abubakar Bukola Saraki (ABS) Foundation, which revealed it “paid the entire medical expenses of Ibu”.

On November 6, Ibu’s family revealed that the actor’s leg had been amputated after undergoing seven surgeries. He, however, remained in the hospital where had been recuperating.

The 63-year-old actor had delved into acting since the early 2000s but rose to fame for his role in the movie ‘Mr Ibu,’ which was released in 2004.

He also featured in a plethora of movies such as ‘Coffin Producers’, ‘Husband Suppliers’, ‘International Players’, ‘Mr.Ibu in London’ and ‘Police Recruit’

Ibu was well known for renowned for his comedic roles and he earned several nominations and awards for his craft.

Continue Reading

Most Read...