Connect with us


Court remands Bayelsa senator, Benson Konbowei in prison over certificate forgery



The federal capital territory (FCT) high court in Apo, Abuja, has remanded Benson Konbowei, senator representing Bayelsa central, in prison.

In the suit marked CR/028/2023 preferred by the inspector-general of police (IGP), the lawmaker is facing a three-count charge bordering on forgery of his National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) exemption certificate, among others.

Konbowei is accused of forging a document titled ‘Certificate of Exemption’ with number 000256454, dated July 4, 2008.

The police said the senator acted contrary to the provisions of sections 366,156 and 158 of the penal code Act CAP 532 laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990 and is liable to punishment under section 364.

Konbowei was arraigned on Tuesday before Christopher Oba, a judge, and pleaded not guilty.

The court allowed the senator to go home and fixed the hearing of his bail application for Thursday.

At the resumed hearing on Thursday, Rubben Egwaba, prosecution counsel, opposed Konbowei’s bail application.

Egwaba said the prosecution is worried that the senator would interfere with his trial if granted bail.

“When the charge was filed, the defendant took several steps to interfere with the matter,” he said.

“He also wrote a lot of petitions against me to truncate the matter. We urge my lord to refuse the application,” the prosecutor said.

However, Gordy Uche, Konbowei’s lawyer, prayed the court to grant his client bail, assuring that the lawmaker would not jump bail.

In his ruling, the judge granted the senator N50 million bail with two sureties in like sum.

The judge said the sureties must own landed properties with certificates of occupancy within the FCT.

But the judge ordered that the senator be remanded in the Kuje correctional centre pending the perfection of his bail conditions.

He declined an oral application by the defendant’s lawyer to write an undertaken to produce the senator in court till he perfects his bail.

The judge subsequently adjourned the matter till June 24, 25 and 27 for hearing.


Man stabs six people to death at shopping mall in Australia




An unidentified man has stabbed six persons to death at a shopping mall in Australia.

The incident occurred on Saturday at a six-level shopping centre located at Bondi Junction Westfield in Sydney.

Anthony Cooke, assistant commissioner of New South Wales police, said at a press conference that six persons were killed in the incident, while eight others were injured and are receiving treatment at a hospital.

He said the attacker was shot dead by a female police officer.

“She confronted the offender who had moved by this stage to level five (of the shopping center) as she continued to walk quickly behind him to catch up with him. He turned, faced her, raised a knife,” Cooke said.

“She discharged a firearm and that person is now deceased.”

An infant is reportedly among those stabbed by the attacker.

The attacker was said to have been to the shopping mall earlier, left and then returned to commence the killings.

Continue Reading


Abducted Channels TV reporter regains freedom — after 24 hours in captivity




Joshua Rogers, a reporter with Channels TV, has regained freedom from his abductors.

Rogers was abducted on Thursday night near his residence in Rumuosi, Obio/Akpor LGA of Rivers state.

The journalist was said to have covered the inauguration of a healthcare facility in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni LGA, as donated to the state government by Peter Odili, former governor of Rivers.

He was returning home when he was abducted.

Rogers’ abductors reportedly contacted the family and demanded N30 million in ransom.

NAN reports Charles Oporum, his colleague, as saying that the journalist regained his freedom around 10 pm on Friday unharmed.

“Yes, he has been released about an hour ago, and has reunited with his family,” Oporum said.

The management of the television station also confirmed Rogers’ release in a brief statement.

“Channels Television reporter, Joshua Rogers, who was abducted last night in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has been freed,“ the statement reads.

“We thank our viewers and all those who expressed concern over the unfortunate incident.”

It is, however, unclear whether he was rescued by security forces or if a ransom was paid for his release.

Continue Reading


Princess Owowoh becomes first Nigerian female officer to graduate from UK military academy




Princess Owowoh has become the first-ever Nigerian female officer to graduate from the United Kingdom’s Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS).

The 24-year-old was one of the 135 officer cadets to graduate during RMAS’ sovereign’s parade in London on Friday.

In 2018, Owowoh joined the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna where she was appointed as a cadet lance corporal in her second year.

She rose to a cadet sergeant in her fourth year and was appointed company senior under officer Charlie (CSUO C) in her fifth year.

Owowoh held the appointment with two other female counterparts and made history as the first female to assume the position of CSUO in the academy.

In her fourth year, she also completed the academics wing of the commissioning course and achieved first-class honours in biological sciences.

“It is a profound honour to be the first Nigerian female officer to be commissioned from the esteemed Royal Military Academy Sandhurst,” Owowoh said.

“This achievement is not mine alone, but a testament to the unwavering support of my family, mentors, instructors, and countless individuals who believed in me every step of the way.

“As I look ahead to the future, I am committed to representing Nigeria with pride, and to making a positive difference in the world.”

Some of the RMAS Nigerian alumni include Yakubu Gowon, former head of state, and Emmanuel Undiandeye, chief of defence intelligence.

Continue Reading

Most Read...