Connect with us

News

Residents loot rice from Kebbi government’s palliatives warehouse (Photos)

Published

on

Residents of Kebbi State attacked a government warehouse in the Bayan Kara area of Birnin Kebbi, the state capital, on Saturday night, looting food items.

The looters also broke into some private facilities, overpowering the security forces on guard and making off with essential food items.

The latest incident in Kebbi State follows a similar event that happened earlier in Abuja and Suleja, Niger State. This looting spree could be attributed to challenging economic conditions stemming from the removal of petrol subsidies and the floating of the naira.

Chairman of the Bayan Kara Market food vendors association, Muhammadu Gwadangwaji, said the youth, after the government palliatives had been successfully looted, broke many stores belonging to his members and made away with sacks of food items, which he said for now are not quantifiable.

He lamented that the presence of armed police and soldiers didn’t stop the looting, as they returned tear gas to the police, who fired at them, and continued with the looting.

Expressing sadness over the incident, he said the youth also broke into chemical stores where pesticides were being sold.

Reacting to the incident, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Nasir Idris, Ahmed Idris, described it as “unfortunate”.

He stated: “The hoodlums had earlier attacked the consignment of food items that was brought to the state for distribution to the people by Dangote before going to the government warehouse to loot it.

“Such incident has never happened in Kebbi before. The food items they looted are part of the foodstuffs purchased by the state government for distribution to people of the state.

He also stated that measures had been taken to secure the warehouses against future incidents.

News

Man stabs six people to death at shopping mall in Australia

Published

on

By

An unidentified man has stabbed six persons to death at a shopping mall in Australia.

The incident occurred on Saturday at a six-level shopping centre located at Bondi Junction Westfield in Sydney.

Anthony Cooke, assistant commissioner of New South Wales police, said at a press conference that six persons were killed in the incident, while eight others were injured and are receiving treatment at a hospital.

He said the attacker was shot dead by a female police officer.

“She confronted the offender who had moved by this stage to level five (of the shopping center) as she continued to walk quickly behind him to catch up with him. He turned, faced her, raised a knife,” Cooke said.

“She discharged a firearm and that person is now deceased.”

An infant is reportedly among those stabbed by the attacker.

The attacker was said to have been to the shopping mall earlier, left and then returned to commence the killings.

Continue Reading

News

Abducted Channels TV reporter regains freedom — after 24 hours in captivity

Published

on

By

Joshua Rogers, a reporter with Channels TV, has regained freedom from his abductors.

Rogers was abducted on Thursday night near his residence in Rumuosi, Obio/Akpor LGA of Rivers state.

The journalist was said to have covered the inauguration of a healthcare facility in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni LGA, as donated to the state government by Peter Odili, former governor of Rivers.

He was returning home when he was abducted.

Rogers’ abductors reportedly contacted the family and demanded N30 million in ransom.

NAN reports Charles Oporum, his colleague, as saying that the journalist regained his freedom around 10 pm on Friday unharmed.

“Yes, he has been released about an hour ago, and has reunited with his family,” Oporum said.

The management of the television station also confirmed Rogers’ release in a brief statement.

“Channels Television reporter, Joshua Rogers, who was abducted last night in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has been freed,“ the statement reads.

“We thank our viewers and all those who expressed concern over the unfortunate incident.”

It is, however, unclear whether he was rescued by security forces or if a ransom was paid for his release.

Continue Reading

News

Princess Owowoh becomes first Nigerian female officer to graduate from UK military academy

Published

on

By

Princess Owowoh has become the first-ever Nigerian female officer to graduate from the United Kingdom’s Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS).

The 24-year-old was one of the 135 officer cadets to graduate during RMAS’ sovereign’s parade in London on Friday.

In 2018, Owowoh joined the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna where she was appointed as a cadet lance corporal in her second year.

She rose to a cadet sergeant in her fourth year and was appointed company senior under officer Charlie (CSUO C) in her fifth year.

Owowoh held the appointment with two other female counterparts and made history as the first female to assume the position of CSUO in the academy.

In her fourth year, she also completed the academics wing of the commissioning course and achieved first-class honours in biological sciences.

“It is a profound honour to be the first Nigerian female officer to be commissioned from the esteemed Royal Military Academy Sandhurst,” Owowoh said.

“This achievement is not mine alone, but a testament to the unwavering support of my family, mentors, instructors, and countless individuals who believed in me every step of the way.

“As I look ahead to the future, I am committed to representing Nigeria with pride, and to making a positive difference in the world.”

Some of the RMAS Nigerian alumni include Yakubu Gowon, former head of state, and Emmanuel Undiandeye, chief of defence intelligence.

Continue Reading

Most Read...