Connect with us

News

NRC suspends Warri-Itakpe service after train derails

Published

on

The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has suspended the Warri-Itakpe rail service after a train derailed on Thursday.

The train was travelling from Itakpe in Kogi to Ujevwu in Delta when the accident occurred at about 7.15pm.

Ediri Oyibo, a digital strategist who was on board when the accident happened, said the train wobbled along its track at several locations during the journey.

“As a frequent user of the train service, riding on the train from Ujevwu to Itakpe on Wednesday, 3rd of July 2024, I practically had my heart between my teeth when the train wobbled along its track at several locations; one, on top of a valley crossing,” he said.

“Riding on the train, something told me the Warri-Itakpe train service is a disaster waiting to happen. A derailment on top of a valley crossing will spell doom.

“Passengers on the trip reported how the train had earlier overshot a station it was supposed to stop due to brake failure.”

Taribio Walson-Oweifawari, a broadcast journalist who was also on the train, said the coach before hers almost fell off a high point when the train derailed.

“My coach is VIP and it is Coach 1. The coach immediately after ours was Coach 2 and it derailed. Hai!!! I just kept shouting Jesus when it looked like ours was going to tumble. Just a little bit more, that coach would have fallen off the high point, and taking our coach with it,” she wrote in a Facebook post.

On Friday morning, the railway corporation announced the suspension of train operations on the route.

“Due to an unexpected fault, train operations are suspended for today. We apologise for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding,” the NRC said.

Last year, NRC suspended operations on the Warri-Itakpe rail service after a train derailed at kilometre 30, Ajaokuta-Itakpe section of the track.

News

8 steps you must follow to get your e-Central Motor Registry

Published

on

By

Recently, the Nigerian Police Force announced that it will begin enforcing the digitalised Central Motor Registry (e-CMR) on July 29.

In a statement released on Saturday in Abuja, the Force Public Relations Officer, ACP Olumuyiwa Adejobi, urged vehicle owners to comply with the new registration requirements.

Adejobi explained that the e-CMR initiative aims to improve the security of lives and property while modernising and digitising the motor vehicle registration system. This measure is part of improving the country’s safety and security infrastructure.

He highlighted that the e-CMR is an advanced, real-time online database of motor vehicle information. It is designed to assist police investigations, support operational activities, and combat vehicle-related crimes such as terrorism, banditry, kidnapping, and armed robbery.

The police spokesperson also noted that transitioning to this digital system will simplify the documentation and verification processes for vehicle ownership and related transactions.

Below are the eight (8) steps required to get your e-Central Motor Registry:

Step 1 – Visit https://cmris.npf.gov.ng./ and click on the apply icon.

Step 2: Create a profile using NIN, Driver’s Licence, or TIN.

Step 3: Log in using your access credentials if a profile exists.

Step 4: Select the CMR request, then select a sub-request.

Step 5: Provide vehicle details and click Next.

Step 6: Check the box to confirm the accuracy of vehicle details and click on Proceed.

Step 7: View the invoice and click Make Payment using any payment method.

Step 8: Details of the request will be sent to the registered phone number and email address.

Continue Reading

News

Scammers hacked phone number of governor Adeleke, says aide

Published

on

By

Olawale Rasheed, spokesperson of Ademola Adeleke, Osun governor, says one of the phone numbers of his principal has been hacked.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Rasheed asked the public to ignore any calls or messages from +234 803 365 7555.

The spokesperson said appropriate action has been taken to remedy the situation.

“This is to alert the general public that one of the telephone numbers of his Excellency, Governor Ademola Adeleke has been hacked,” the statement reads.

“Please ignore any solicitation from +234 803 365 7555.

“Appropriate action is ongoing to remedy the situation.”

Continue Reading

News

Kano state government files fresh charge against Ganduje over N240m fraud

Published

on

By

The Kano state government has filed a fresh charge against Abdullahi Ganduje, former governor of the state.

Ganduje was charged on four counts alongside Musa Lawan, former attorney-general of the state.

The offences border on criminal conspiracy, abuse of office and misappropriation, contrary to Section 308 and punishable under Section 309 of the Penal Code (as amended) CAP 105, Vol. 2, the Laws of Kano State of Nigeria.

The duo were alleged to have misappropriated, diverted and converted the sum of N240 million belonging to the state.

In the charge sheet, the state government said it intends to present four witnesses.

No date has been fixed for the arraignment.

In April, the Kano government filed an eight-count charge bordering on bribery, misappropriation, and diversion of public funds against Ganduje; Hafsat, his wife; Umar Abdullahi Umar, his son; and five others.

Other defendants in the case are Abubakar Bawuro, Jibrilla Muhammad, Lamash Properties Limited, Safari Textiles Limited, and Lasage General Enterprises Limited.

On July 11, the defendants were arraigned in absentia and the court entered a plea of not guilty on their behalf.

BACKGROUND

In 2018, the Daily Nigerian, an online newspaper, published a video of Ganduje allegedly receiving bundles of dollars from contractors, which he stuffed into his ‘babanriga’, a traditional outfit.

The APC national chairman was the governor of Kano from 2015 to 2023.

The newspaper said Ganduje requested $5 million as kickback from the contractors who recorded the video.

In 2023, the Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Commission (PCACC) invited Ganduje for questioning over the video.

The former governor did not honour the invitation and instead instituted a suit against the agency.

In March, a federal high court in Kano stopped the agency from inviting or questioning Ganduje over the bribery allegation.

The court ruled that the agency lacks the power to invite or investigate Ganduje.

Abdullahi Liman, the presiding judge, said the alleged infraction is a federal offence that cannot be prosecuted by the state anti-graft agency.

Continue Reading

Most Read...