Connect with us

World

Trump has immunity for actions as president, US supreme court rules

Published

on

The United States supreme court has ruled that former President Donald Trump has immunity for official actions taken while in office.

In a 6-3 ruling delivered on Monday, the majority decision dismissed the verdict of the lower court on the criminal charges filed against Trump over his conduct after the 2020 elections.

The six justices ruled that former US presidents have immunity against actions taken while in office but not unofficial actions.

Reuters reports that the court analysed Trump’s indictment into four categories: discussions with justice department officials after the 2020 election; alleged pressure on then Vice-President Mike Pence to block certification of Biden’s election win; alleged role in assembling fake pro-Trump electors; and conduct about an attack on the US Capitol.

The justices ruled that Trump has immunity over conversations with US justice department officials but returned the case to the lower courts to determine the immunity of the other three categories.

In 2021, Trump supporters breached police lines and stormed the US Capitol Hill building while Congress was sitting to verify then-President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.

The police said four people died and at least 14 of their personnel were injured. Over 50 people were arrested. Some of the rioters have been sentenced to prison.

Trump had promised to pardon most or all of the rioters if he is re-elected president in 2024.

In December 2022, the January 6 committee voted to refer Trump to the department of justice (DOJ) for at least four criminal charges.

The committee is a select panel from the United States house of representatives, to investigate the January 6 invasion of the US Capitol by a mob of Trump supporters.

World

Trump promises Americans ‘4 greatest years in history’ if elected president again

Published

on

By

Donald Trump has vowed to run “to be president for all of America” as he took to the stage at the Republican National Convention on Friday.

Trump said this in his first public speech following the failed attempt on his life.

“I stand before you this evening with a message of confidence, strength, and hope,” Trump told an ecstatic crowd in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

“Four months from now, we will have an incredible victory, and we will begin the four greatest years in the history of our country.”

“Together, we will launch a new era of safety, prosperity and freedom for citizens of every race, religion, colour and creed,” Trump said.

“I am running to be president for all of America, not half of America, because there is no victory in winning for half of America.”

Trump, 78, formally accepted his party’s nomination as the presidential candidate for the November 5 election, where he is set to face off against incumbent Joe Biden.

He is set to run together with vice presidential candidate, JD Vance, a senator from Ohio who is some 40 years younger than Trump.

Vance is a rising star within the Republican Party and a former fierce critic who has since wholeheartedly embraced Trump. Trump’s official nomination as the Republican presidential candidate came just two days after the failed attempt on his life.

During a campaign rally in Pennsylvania on Saturday, a shooter was able to climb to an elevated position with an assault rifle and fire a number of shots at Trump, wounding him in the ear while one spectator was killed.

Trump, left bleeding, struck a defiant tone as he pumped his fist while being whisked off the stage.

Wearing a white bandage on his right ear, Trump has joined the four-day party conference in person every night to standing ovations.

The shooting upended what had already been a tumultuous campaign season, dominated by Trump’s criminal trials and concerns about the candidates’ age.

Continue Reading

World

Biden tests positive for COVID-19, cancels campaign event

Published

on

By

The White House says President Joe Biden has tested positive for COVID-19 and is suffering from mild symptoms.

The US President has cancelled a campaign speech he was scheduled to have in Las Vegas.

“President Biden is vaccinated, boosted, and he is experiencing mild symptoms following a positive COVID-19 test,” a post by the White House on X reads.

“He will be returning to Delaware where he will self-isolate and will continue to carry out all of his duties fully during that time.

“The President presented this afternoon with upper respiratory symptoms, to include rhinorhea (runny nose) and non-productive cough, with general mailaise.

“He felt okay for his first event of the day, but given that he was not feeling better, point of care testing for COVID-19 was conducted, and the results were positive for the COVID-19 virus.

“Given this, the President will be self-isolating in accordance with CDC guidance for symptomatic individuals. PCR confirmation testing will be pending.

“His symptoms remain mild, his respiratory rate is normal at 16, his temperature is normal at 97.8 and his pulse oximetry is normal at 97%. The President has received his first dose of Paxlovid. He will be self-isolating at his home in Rehoboth.”

FEARS OVER BIDEN’S FITNESS

On July 4, the White House said 81-year-old Biden would not back down in the country’s presidential election despite growing concerns about his age and fitness.

US citizens and even his fellow Democrats fear that the president’s age and mental alertness could make re-election impossible, especially after his shaky performance against Donald Trump in their presidential debate.

The US president acknowledged that age affected his fluency during the debate but insisted that he “could do the job”.

Biden also cited a cold and jet lag as reasons for his feeble performance.

The White House spokesperson has maintained that “The president is clear-eyed, and he is staying in the race.”

Continue Reading

World

Computer scientist claiming invention of Bitcoin faces criminal investigation in UK

Published

on

By

Craig Wright, an Australian computer scientist who has long claimed to be Satoshi Nakamoto, the pseudonymous creator of Bitcoin, is under criminal investigation in the UK for alleged perjury.

According to a Reuters report, Wright faces charges after a judge found him to have repeatedly lied and fabricated documents to support his claims.

The 54-year-old has filed lawsuits around the world, including the US and UK, asserting his role as Bitcoin’s inventor. This culminated in a recent London High Court case.

The Crypto Open Patent Alliance (COPA) took Wright to court to prevent him from suing Bitcoin developers and to preserve the open-source nature of the world’s best-known and most popular cryptocurrency.

In March, Justice James Mellor ruled that evidence against Wright’s Satoshi claims was “overwhelming.” A May written judgment further stated that Wright had lied “extensively” and produced “large-scale” forgeries throughout the case.

On Tuesday, the judge issued a further ruling, referring Wright to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to determine “whether a prosecution should be commenced” for perjury and document forgery.

Mellor also requested the CPS consider whether a warrant for his arrest should be issued and/or whether his extradition should be sought from his current location.

The judge said Wright’s current whereabouts remain unknown. Justice Mellor noted in his ruling, “The evidence shows Dr Wright has left his previous residence in Wimbledon (London) and appears to have left the UK.

Continue Reading

Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.

She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others

Most Read...