See What UNILAG Lecturer Who Raped 18-Year Old Wants Court To Do
like seriously..when you were forcing her to do the thing,why you no remember this?..Read this report from Punch;
The courtroom of a Lagos Magistrate Court sitting in Ikeja was filled to capacity on Monday as a University of Lagos lecturer, Dr. Afeez Baruwa, who is standing trial for allegedly raping an 18-year-old admission seeker, showed up in court for trial.
This was just as the counsel for the defendant, Kunle Abimbola, lamented the negative press coverage given to his client’s case, adding that such publications already presumed the defendant to be guilty.
Punch Metro had reported on September 10 that Baruwa, a lecturer from the univeristy’s Distance Learning Institute, who had been in remand at the Krikiri Prison since August 7, failed to show up in court.
The presiding magistrate, Mr. T. Elias, had adjourned the case till Monday, September 21, 2015, for the outcome of the DPP’s advice.
However, Baruwa showed up in court for the continuation of his trial on Monday.
Our correspondent also observed the victim and her parents sitting among the crowd.
The defence counsel, Abimbola, who brought an affidavit sworn to by Baruwa’s wife to show the lecturer’s failing health, sought the court’s permission to perfect the bail of Baruwa.
The counsel, who put forward several newspaper publications on Baruwa, said it was wrong that his client was being tried by the media in the eyes of the general public.
“The state of my client’s health should be considered. We also have to seek a protection of the man from the press. It is not fair that the defendant is being tried by the media.
“This is contrary to Section 36 (5), of the constitution. There are several publications that attest to this, including an interview granted to the Dean of the UNILAG’s Faculty of Business Administration, where my client was called all sort of names.
“I urge the court to call the newspapers to order, and we urge you to come to the aid of the defendant.”
The OPD lawyer, Ibikunle, said the publication of the matter in the newspaper was not unconstitutional as the general public had already been informed, and had the right to have information on the matter as it progressed.
She added that the affidavit brought before the court establishing Baruwa’s ill-health, did not have any medical report.
The Magistrate, Elias, who went through one of the newspapers’ publication briefly, said the case was awaiting advice from the Department of Public Prosecutions.
He thereafter adjourned the matter till November 13, 2015.
Bad Bunny sued for $40m by ex-lover over unauthorised voice recording
Carliz De La Cruz, the ex-lover of Bad Bunny, the Puerto Rican rapper, has sued him, claiming a voice recording she provided him before he became famous has been used without her permission.
Cruz argued that she is entitled to $40 million in compensation for “negligence and attack on her privacy and dignity.”
According to BBC, Carliz filed a lawsuit against the rapper, claiming he used the catchphrase “Bad Bunny baby” — which she recorded on her phone in 2015 — in two of his songs without her consent.
The line is said to have appeared on the rapper’s 2017 single ‘Pa Ti’ and his 2022 song ‘Dos Mil 16’.
‘Pa Ti’ has raked in more than 355 million views on YouTube and over 235 million plays on Spotify, while ‘Dos Mil 16’ has over 60 million YouTube views and more than 280 million Spotify plays.
According to the legal documents by Carliz’s lawyers, prior to the release of ‘Un Verano Sin Ti’, Bad Bunny’s recent album, the rapper had offered to buy the rights to the line from his ex-lover for $2,000.
She was said to have declined the offer but the album was, however, released with her line on it. ‘Un Verano Sin Ti’ was then nominated for album of the year at the Grammy Awards.
Carlos also said that her recordings have been used in concerts, adding that it is a “gross negligence, bad faith and, worse still, an attack on her privacy, morals and dignity.”
In the legal documents, Carliz said harassment from supporters of the 29-year-old rapper has made her “overwhelmed and anxious” while she seeks “psychologists for help”.
The duo dated in 2011 and both worked in a supermarket while Bad Bunny also made music by the side.
They, however, parted ways in 2016.
The rapper’s former lover is also suing Rimas Entertainment, his record label, and Noah Assad, Bad Bunny’s manager.
I never asked Mo Bimpe sex for movie role, Yomi Fabiyi insists
Yomi Fabiyi, the actor, has once again dismissed claims of sexual harassment against Adebimpe Oyebade.
In 2021, the actress — better known as Mo Bimpe — accused Fabiyi of subjecting her to “constant harassment, bully and threats.”
Her claim had come as a response to the release of ‘Oko Iyabo’, a movie by Fabiyi on the sexual assault allegations against Baba Ijesha.
“I didn’t make myself available for his sexual needs despite how much he tried. Yomi Fabiyi needs to be stopped. Thank God for grace, I would have given up on this dream because of his constant harassment, bully and threats,” she had said.
But in a recent interview, Fabiyi denied claims that he demanded sex from Mo Bimpe before enlisting her in his movie.
“I starred her in my movie when nobody knew her and I never asked her for sex before I put her in the movie,” he said.
“I always tell her that whenever she is chanced, she should come to Lagos so that I can brush her up and keep her up to speed before shooting.
“We shot the movie and we were there together, I didn’t say before I give you this role I must have sex with you. People who do such things, that will be their first condition before they even give you that kind of role.
“I didn’t demand anything from you, I didn’t say come and have sex, I just wanted to help you. After we finished shooting and she noticed I didn’t ask her for anything, she came to tell me she’s following another man, Gabriel to Lagos.
“Why is she saying that I sexually assaulted her when many men have slept with her before she settled down with who she’s with today.”
Fabiyi had previously addressed the allegation against him.
Rita Dominic and Omoni Oboli call out INEC for moving polling units
Rita Dominic and Omoni Oboli have called out the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for allegedly moving their polling units.
The movie stars took to their social media pages to express their shock over the decision by INEC officials.
Dominic took to Instagram to state that she had been voting inside Victoria Garden City (VGC) for the last 10 years.
The actress, however, wondered why “the INEC staff came to move the centre outside the gate.”
She lamented that the decision has denied several people the opportunity to cast their votes.
“At my polling unit in VGC with fam but @inecnigeria @ineclagos decided to move our polling unit and set up outside the estate on the main road without prior notice,” she wrote.
“I have voted in the same polling unit for over 10 years and did so just about 3 weeks ago for the presidential election. I can’t fathom why INEC officials will decide to move this outside?
“There are many senior citizens who live inside the estate, who want to exercise their civic duty but as it stands now might not be able to do that because of this decision.
“What reason would you move thousands of voters from somewhere that is organised to a chaotic place that would obstruct traffic? I just can’t wrap my head around it!”
Similarly, Oboli claimed that their polling units have been reduced to three, instead of eight. She also alleged that they were asked to vote outside VGC.
“INEC has come to set up outside. There’s an uproar going on here. It is a mess. There’s some sort of military outside. But guys I don’t think it’s safe. I just said I should come outside. I am just gonna go right back into VGC. It is what it is. INEC, is this what we’ve reduced ourselves to?” she asked.
“We voted the last time and everything went reasonably okay. Why are we voting outside? There are eight polling stations inside. And you set up three canopies out here.”
Lagos Airport Hotel assures customers of safety after fire incident
INEC to resume collation of results in Abia, Enugu today
Uganda passes law criminalising identifying as LGBTQ
Aremu Afolayan rain curses on his family members for not buying him a car (Video)
‘They will be resolved quickly’ — Emefiele apologises for failed electronic transactions
Anyone planning to unseat Tinubu is daydreaming, says Fayose
Hoodlums set ablaze high court in Ebonyi
Sanwo-Olu lists Spyro’s ‘Who’s Your Guy’ as current favourite song
5 best places to live in Lagos
‘Tinubu was unqualified’ — Atiku asks tribunal to declare him winner of presidential poll
Seven tips to prepare for Ramadan
Bad Bunny sued for $40m by ex-lover over unauthorised voice recording
Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.
She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others
World6 days ago
’40 attacks, 57 deaths in 2022′ — IPOB ranked world’s 10th deadliest group
Politics1 week ago
‘We can’t sacrifice his feats on altar of bitter politicking’ — 9 political parties endorse Sanwo-Olu
Education5 days ago
Kaduna state university gets first female registrar and bursar in 19 years
Sports6 days ago
Burna Boy to perform at 2023 Champions League final
Entertainment1 day ago
Actress Monalisa Stephen narrates how her boyfriend forced her to have intimacy during her period (Video)
Business1 week ago
CBN has directed banks to dispense, and accept old notes… Emefiele confirmed it to me, says Soludo
Business1 week ago
JUST IN: CBN breaks silence, says old naira notes remain legal tender
Entertainment1 week ago
Asake performs new single on The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon (Video)