Newcastle’s embattled midfielder Sandro Tonali, has been banned from football for ten (10) months and will further undergo a rehabilitation process for eight (8) months afterward.
Recall that the midfielder was alleged to have taken part in a betting scandal as opposed to the rules of the club and game. In response to the allegation, Tonali has confirmed the deposition, as it was more proven that the former Milan man didn’t only bet but also placed a bet on his then-team, AC Milan.
FiGC (The Italian Football Federation) President Gabriele Gravina, has, thus, confirmed Sandro Tonali will be banned for 10 months and will have to follow a rehab program for eight more months after that.
“The FIGC Prosecutor and Tonali have reached an agreement, which I have already approved.
“The agreement consists of a 10-month ban plus eight months of rehab activities and at least 16 public appearances.
“Rules provide a ban for a few years, but there can be a plea agreement and attenuating circumstances,” continued Gravina.
“The guys collaborated above and beyond expectations, so we will continue to follow the rules we had adopted.”
Recall that Juventus midfielder Nicolò Fagioli was also involved in the same scandal and initially faced a 12-month suspension but was reduced to seven months. This reduction came about by Fagioli seeking help for his gambling addiction, committing to treatment, and making at least 10 public appearances to discourage others from going down a similar path.
Fagioli had voluntarily reported his situation to authorities before any investigation and did not place bets on his team, contributing to the decrease in his ban.
Additionally, Tonali has also taken steps to address his gambling addiction. The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) will release an official statement confirming Tonali’s suspension later today.
Sporting Lagos get N1m fine over fans unruliness during NPFL game
The board of the Nigeria Premier Football League (NPFL) has imposed a fine of N1 million on Sporting Lagos FC over the unruliness of the club’s fans during their match against Heartland FC.
According to a tweet on the league’s official X account, Sporting Lagos fans threw objects on the pitch during the team’s matchday nine fixture, which finished 1-1 at the Mobolaji Johnson Stadium, on Sunday.
The league body charged the Noisy Lagosians with breaching the framework and rules of the NPFL “for failing to provide adequate security”.
Sporting Lagos must pay the fine within 14 days, or failure to comply within the stipulated time would be considered a continuous breach of the league’s framework and rules.
NPFL then ordered the Lagos club to implement an effective matchday security arrangement and organise a re-orientation programme for its fans.
The league body warned the club that any recurrence would lead to severe sanctions.
Sporting Lagos are playing their first-ever season in the NPFL. The team is sitting eighth on the league table after garnering an equal number of wins, draws and losses from 12 games.
No money to pay off Peseiro if we sack him, says NFF board member
Nse Essien, a board member of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), says Jose Peseiro, Super Eagles head coach, has not been sacked because the federation cannot afford the severance payment.
Essien spoke with journalists after the Eagles’ 1-1 draw against Zimbabwe in their second game of the 2026 World Cup qualification campaign.
The result left Nigeria winless in the qualifiers, having previously drawn Lesotho at the Godswill Akpabio stadium last week.
The performances have generated a lot of criticism for Peseiro, while some social media users called for his sack.
Addressing the situation, Essien said the top brass at the NFF are also “not happy” with the Portuguese and his latest streak of results with the Eagles.
He claimed Peseiro was employed by the sports ministry and not the NFF, and “not paid a dime” have been paid to the Portuguese.
“If you check the internet, almost everyone is asking for the sack of the head coach. It is unfortunate that out of six points, we have just two, and we have found ourselves in a precarious situation,” the NFF board member said.
“When you say NFF should sack the head coach, we didn’t employ him. This regime didn’t employ him when you come to look at it; it was the Sports Ministry that employed him.
“Up till now, we were supposed to have paid their salaries, but up till now, they have not paid a dime.
“When you now sack him, who pays for compensation? That is the situation we find ourselves in. Not a dime has been paid to this coach, who earns about $70,000 every month.
“We have to respect his [Jose Peseiro’s] contract. If we had the money to give to him [pay him off], why wouldn’t we relieve him? We are not happy.”
‘The money increased with each rejection’ — Osimhen speaks on declining Al-Hilal bid
Victor Osimhen, Super Eagles striker, said he refused to join Saudi Arabia’s Al-Hilal FC earlier this year because he had to “make a decision that is good for my career.”
In July, the Saudi Pro League side reportedly tabled a €140 million (£120.3m) offer to sign Osimhen from Napoli.
The 24-year-old was billed to earn wages in the region of £1 million per week if the Italian club accepted the offer.
However, the move fell through, with Osimhen opting to stay with the Parthenopeans for at least another season.
Speaking on the exorbitant bid in a chat with John Obi Mikel on the “Obi One Podcast” on Monday, the Napoli striker admitted that the Al-Hilal offer was hard to refuse and “would have changed my life amazingly”.
He added that the Saudi club never relented, and “the more I said no, the more they increased the financial offer”.
“When the offer came from Saudi Arabia, a huge offer, it was hard to refuse,” Osimhen said.
“It was a really huge decision for me to take.
“The more I said no, the more they increased the financial offer. I was like, wow! This is for real.
“I spoke to Napoli and decided to stay. But they [Al-Hilal] never gave up until the end of their transfer window.
“The transfer would have changed my life amazingly, but I just have to make a decision that is good for my career. As much as we play football for money, there is also honour that comes with it.”
JAMB announces registration date for 2024 UTME
5 common mistakes Lagosians make during Detty December
Celestial Church of Christ under fire for inviting Pasuma and Portable to praise night
‘You bozos!’ — Beyonce’s mother tackles claims her daughter lightened her skin
Rema cancels all December shows to focus on health
SEE FULL LIST: Asake is the most-streamed Nigerian artiste on Spotify for 2023
EFCC warns Nigerians against Facebook user claiming to be Olukoyede
‘Accept old, new naira notes’ — CBN notifies banks after Supreme Court judgment
Robbers kill Governor Abiodun’s Office Finance Director, cart away huge sums of money
No sane person will go to tribunal over election results, says Melaye
Court orders Betta Edu to disclose details of ₦535.8m school feeding expenditure during lockdown
United Nigeria Airlines suspends flight dispatcher
Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.
She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others
Entertainment1 week ago
SEE FULL LIST: Burna Boy, Rema win inaugural Billboard Afrobeats awards
Education5 days ago
UNILORIN announces date for Post-UTME registration
Entertainment1 week ago
SEE FULL LIST: Burna Boy tops Billboard’s 2023 US Afrobeats artistes chart
Business2 days ago
Kyari reappointed GCEO of NNPC, Akinyelure named board chair
Relationships5 days ago
Isreal DMW’s estranged wife reveals cause of split, calls him ‘two-minute man’
Business2 days ago
How Polo Solutions, Other Agencies exposed MTN alleged dollarization of Nigeria’s economy in suit filed by telecom giant
Health7 days ago
Holding in urine, high caffeine consumption…See 10 common habits that damage your kidneys
Entertainment1 week ago
Music money is like ritual, says Shallipopi