Connect with us


LUTH debunks allegation of negligence as patient dies at facility



The Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) has debunked allegations of negligence in the death of Olaleye Franklin Adenibuyan, a patient who died at the facility.

A report said Adenibuyan was admitted to LUTH after falling and suffering a serious head injury during his visit to Nigeria.

The report alleged that the patient died due to a dearth of equipment at the hospital and delays in his treatment.

In a statement on Wednesday, Ayodeji Oluwole, chairman of the hospital’s medical advisory committee, said the late Adenibuyan was admitted to the facility on January 15, 2024, and was promptly attended to at the emergency department, and stabilised by a team of neurologists and neurosurgeons.

Oluwole, in the statement on behalf of the LUTH management, said the deceased was subsequently transferred to the intensive care unit (ICU) of the hospital for critical care because he was deeply unconscious when first admitted.

“In the ICU, his care was coordinated by a team of neurosurgeons, intensivists, and ICU nurses. Throughout his stay in the hospital, the managing team was in direct and constant contact with Mr. Adenibuyan’s immediate family, including his wife and son,” the statement reads.

“Our records reveal that he was given prompt, appropriate, and professional care for his condition by senior medical professionals.”

Oluwole debunked insinuations of inadequate critical care equipment at LUTH, adding that it is not uncommon for hospital equipment to experience downtime.

He, however, said the hospital has backup arrangements when such downtimes occur.

“In situations when a hospital equipment experiences downtime, the hospital policy is for an ambulance and appropriate healthcare professionals to be made available to take the patient to a sister facility for the required procedure to be carried out,” the statement reads.

“This was clearly communicated to Mr. Adenibuyan’s family when he needed a repeat CT scan.

“For the records, LUTH has functional imaging facilities including MRI, X-ray, ultrasonography, fluoroscopy, and mammography machines.

“Deployment of equipment such as the intracranial pressure, ICP, monitor requires consumables such as probes.

“Such consumables are supplied by private vendors and the costs borne by the patient for which they are used. It is these consumables that were required to be made available in this case.

“The decision on the timing of deployment of the ICP monitor was taken by the Neurosurgeons, with due consideration given to the potential benefits of ICP monitoring versus the potential risks that may arise from placing a foreign body within the brain.”

Oluwole said a decision to perform surgery was taken, but while preparations for the procedure were ongoing, the patient suffered a cardiac arrest which led to his death.

The chairman said a committee has been inaugurated to investigate the allegations surrounding the death of Adenibuyan.


Man stabs six people to death at shopping mall in Australia




An unidentified man has stabbed six persons to death at a shopping mall in Australia.

The incident occurred on Saturday at a six-level shopping centre located at Bondi Junction Westfield in Sydney.

Anthony Cooke, assistant commissioner of New South Wales police, said at a press conference that six persons were killed in the incident, while eight others were injured and are receiving treatment at a hospital.

He said the attacker was shot dead by a female police officer.

“She confronted the offender who had moved by this stage to level five (of the shopping center) as she continued to walk quickly behind him to catch up with him. He turned, faced her, raised a knife,” Cooke said.

“She discharged a firearm and that person is now deceased.”

An infant is reportedly among those stabbed by the attacker.

The attacker was said to have been to the shopping mall earlier, left and then returned to commence the killings.

Continue Reading


Abducted Channels TV reporter regains freedom — after 24 hours in captivity




Joshua Rogers, a reporter with Channels TV, has regained freedom from his abductors.

Rogers was abducted on Thursday night near his residence in Rumuosi, Obio/Akpor LGA of Rivers state.

The journalist was said to have covered the inauguration of a healthcare facility in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni LGA, as donated to the state government by Peter Odili, former governor of Rivers.

He was returning home when he was abducted.

Rogers’ abductors reportedly contacted the family and demanded N30 million in ransom.

NAN reports Charles Oporum, his colleague, as saying that the journalist regained his freedom around 10 pm on Friday unharmed.

“Yes, he has been released about an hour ago, and has reunited with his family,” Oporum said.

The management of the television station also confirmed Rogers’ release in a brief statement.

“Channels Television reporter, Joshua Rogers, who was abducted last night in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has been freed,“ the statement reads.

“We thank our viewers and all those who expressed concern over the unfortunate incident.”

It is, however, unclear whether he was rescued by security forces or if a ransom was paid for his release.

Continue Reading


Princess Owowoh becomes first Nigerian female officer to graduate from UK military academy




Princess Owowoh has become the first-ever Nigerian female officer to graduate from the United Kingdom’s Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS).

The 24-year-old was one of the 135 officer cadets to graduate during RMAS’ sovereign’s parade in London on Friday.

In 2018, Owowoh joined the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna where she was appointed as a cadet lance corporal in her second year.

She rose to a cadet sergeant in her fourth year and was appointed company senior under officer Charlie (CSUO C) in her fifth year.

Owowoh held the appointment with two other female counterparts and made history as the first female to assume the position of CSUO in the academy.

In her fourth year, she also completed the academics wing of the commissioning course and achieved first-class honours in biological sciences.

“It is a profound honour to be the first Nigerian female officer to be commissioned from the esteemed Royal Military Academy Sandhurst,” Owowoh said.

“This achievement is not mine alone, but a testament to the unwavering support of my family, mentors, instructors, and countless individuals who believed in me every step of the way.

“As I look ahead to the future, I am committed to representing Nigeria with pride, and to making a positive difference in the world.”

Some of the RMAS Nigerian alumni include Yakubu Gowon, former head of state, and Emmanuel Undiandeye, chief of defence intelligence.

Continue Reading

Most Read...