Connect with us

News

Fake News Has Put Me, My Wife In Mess, Osinbajo Cries Out

Published

on

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, has narrated how a fake report about him frolicking with strippers nearly caused a rift between him and his wife, Dolapo.

Osinabjo disclosed this while speaking at a BBC symposium on fake news tagged, ‘Nigeria 2019: Countering Fake News’, in Abuja yesterday Wednesday January 9th.

Lending credence to the fact that fake news can cause a lot of problems, Osinbajo said a blogger had published a photo of him with two women and claimed he was hanging out with strippers. However, a check on the photo after his wife had called him to talk about the photo, showed it had been edited.

“I have been one of the targets of fake news. It can also sometimes cause you marital peace. I got a call from my wife about three or four weeks ago and she said Yemi what are you doing with strippers and I said what do you mean by strippers? So, I read a story in a famous blog that said, ‘Osinbajo caught with strippers’.

“And there was a photograph of me sitting between two perfectly clothed ladies but underneath this picture, the same ladies were not wearing much.

“In fact-checking (I noticed that) the photographs with these two ladies at an entertainment event were taken when they were perfectly clothed but by the time the story was put out, it was as though I had taken a photo with them at the time they were not clothed at all. As it turns out, I wasn’t in the picture of where they were not wearing clothes but just the caption, the stories and all that gave the impression that here I was in the company of these ladies at a point when they were doing their business. I think the capacity of fake news to cause great harm is not in doubt at all.” he said

News

Tinubu orders Mamman Ahmadu to resign as BPP DG

Published

on

By

President Bola Tinubu has asked Mamman Ahmadu to resign as the director-general and chief executive officer (CEO) of the Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP).

In a statement on Saturday, Ajuri Ngelale, presidential spokesperson, said the directive “is part of a larger reorganisation effort in the public procurement system to reposition the agency for greater efficiency and transparency”.

Ngelale added that Ahmadu is to hand over to the most senior officer at the bureau, pending the appointment of a new director-general.

“The President thanks Mr. Ahmadu for his services and wishes him success in his future endeavours,” Ngelale said.

Ahmadu was appointed BPP DG by former President Muhamadu Buhari in 2016.

However, in recent times, there have been calls for his removal from office.

In August 2023, a group known as the Network for the Actualisation of Social Growth and Viable Development (NAGAD) sued Tinubu, demanding Ahmadu’s sack.

The plaintiffs argued that Ahmadu’s appointment did not follow due process or the Public Procurement Act of 2007.

“The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is mandated by the Public Procurement Act, 2007 to constitute a body known as the ‘national council on public procurement’, which acts as a watchdog and oversees and supervises the third respondent’s (BPP) activities for the sake of transparency and accountability,” NAGAD said.

“The said national council of public procurement is also empowered by law to recommend any potential candidates for the office of director-general of the 3rd respondent’s commission to the 1st respondent (president) for appointment after a competitive selection.

“Since the 3rd respondent was established in 2007, the national council on public procurement has never been constituted, in contravention of the law and therefore making the 3rd respondent act on its whims and caprices, taking decisions at its own volition, without supervision, and in accordance with the establishment Act.”

NAGAD further stated that the BPP has been issuing “certificates of no objection to procuring entities without recourse to the national council’s regulations in line with its mandate”.

The group stated that the non-constitution of the national council “will breed corruption in the system at the detriment of the society”.

Continue Reading

News

15 persons injured as BRT bus, truck collide in Lagos

Published

on

By

Fifteen people were injured in a road accident that involved three vehicles, including a BRT bus, at the Ojota bridge in Lagos.

Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, the permanent secretary at the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LESEMA), said in a statement on Friday that there were no casualties in the accident.

Oke-Osanyintolu noted that the accident involved a BRT bus, an articulated truck laden with a 40ft container, and an 18-seater commercial bus.

“The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, today received distress calls via the state’s toll-free emergency numbers 767/112 regarding a multiple road traffic accident at the abovementioned address,” the statement reads.

“Upon arrival at the scene, it was discovered that a BRT bus, registration number EXY-167XY, an articulated truck, registration number unknown, laden with a 40ft container, and an 18-seater commercial bus, registration number JJJ-439YG, were involved in an accident at the aforementioned location.

“Investigations by the agency’s LRT revealed that the articulated truck, while heading inward Ketu, suddenly lost control on motion, skidded off its lane, and collided with a BRT bus headed inward Ojota from the opposite direction.

The BRT subsequently skidded off its lane into the service lane and collided with the yellow commercial bus.”

“The BRT bus suffered significant damage to the front and rear ends. The tractor head of the truck was also damaged.

Fifteen people were injured. No critical injuries were sustained. No fatalities were recorded.

“The injured victims were transported to nearby hospitals for treatment, while four of the victims were attended to by the Agency’s Pre-Hospital Care Team alongside LASAMBUS at the incident scene. The road has been set free for vehicular activities.”

Continue Reading

News

Katsina Hisbah shuts New Palace Hotel for lodging underage girls

Published

on

By

The Katsina State Hisbah Board has ordered the immediate closure of New Palace Hotel, for allegedly lodging underaged girls.

Speaking with NAN, on Friday, Aminu Usman, the Hisbah commander general in the state, said the hotel has, by its action, violated an agreement earlier reached with hoteliers across the state.

He said during a collaborative meeting with hotel managers across the state, there was an agreement that no hotel would accommodate underage children.

“The hotel violated the board’s regulations by allowing underage girls to stay at the premises,” the Hisbah commander said.

“The board discovered that two underage girls were lodged in the same room during a recent inspection, which contravenes the hisbah laws.

“This is the second time such an offence was committed at the New Palace Hotel, inspite of previous warnings by the board and a promise by the hotel’s management to stop such incidents.

“Due to the hotel’s failure to comply with the board’s regulations and meet the stipulated conditions, we have decided to shut it down with immediate effect.

“We remain committed to enforcing reforms and instilling discipline that aligns with the religious and cultural values of the state under the rule of law to ensure lasting peace.”

On June 9, the ministry of women affairs issued a directive prohibiting underage girls from lodging in hotels.

Uju Kennedy-Ohaneye, minister of women affairs, said the move is part of the precautionary measures to halt human trafficking, especially of Nigerian girls.

The ban followed the rescue of over 10 teenage girls trafficked to Ghana.

Continue Reading

Most Read...