Connect with us

World

US extends drop box eligibility period for non-immigrant visa renewals in Nigeria

Published

on

The United States has extended the eligibility period for drop box or interview waiver for non-immigrant visa renewals in Nigeria.

The waiver, which began in March, had an eligibility period of 24 months.

In a statement on Friday, the US embassy said the eligibility period has now been extended to 48 months.

Non-immigrants whose US visas expired within the last 48 months or will expire in the next three months may now qualify to renew their visas without an interview.

“The US mission is also opening thousands of visa renewal appointments to assist applicants who wish to renew their visas,” the statement reads.

To be eligible for a no-interview visa renewal, your application must for a B1/B2, F, M, J (academic only), H, L or C1/D (combined only) visa.

You must also meet the following criteria:

Your previous visa was issued in Nigeria
Your previous visa is in the same classification as your current application


Your previous visa was a full validity, multiple entry visa

Your previous visa expired within the last 48 months or will expire in the next 3 months from the date of application

You have all your passports covering the entire period since receiving the previous visa and the passport with the most recent visa

You have never been arrested or convicted of any crime or offence in the US, even if you later received a waiver or pardon
You have never worked without authorisation or remained beyond your permitted time in the US
“Please note that processing times for the program are expected to be up to two months and you will not be able to retrieve your passport during that time,” the statement reads.

“Each applicant must individually meet the criteria; minors can apply without an interview only if they meet the eligibility criteria on their own.”

The embassy warned against dubious entities seeking to scam unsuspecting persons with false visa offers, and advised applicants to fill out forms themselves via the official websites.

Qualified candidates can visit https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng to start their application, while further information is available at https://ng.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/.

“As future opportunities for interview waiver appointments become available, they will be communicated via our website,” the statement reads.

World

41 passengers killed as bus plunges off bridge in Pakistan

Published

on

By

At least 41 people have been killed after a passenger bus fell into a ravine in Lasbela, Pakistan on Sunday morning.

A ravine is a narrow steep-sided valley that is larger than a gully and smaller than a canyon.

Hamza Anjum, Lasbela’s assistant commissioner, told Dawn, a local news site, that the bus caught fire after it crashed into the ravine.

Nearly 48 passengers were on board, he added.

“Due to speeding, the coach crashed into the pillar of a bridge while taking a U-turn near Lasbela. The vehicle subsequently careened into a ravine and then caught fire,” Dawn quoted Anjum as saying.

“It is feared that the driver may have fallen asleep,” News18, another news site, quoted the commissioner as saying.

Anjum said the bodies were charred beyond recognition, adding that DNA tests would be used to determine the identity of the remains which had been “badly mutilated”.

“We will investigate the causes of the accident,” he said.

Three people, including a child and a woman, had earlier been rescued alive. However, one of the injured persons died from injuries on the way to the hospital.

Anjum said the number of casualties could further increase to 48, adding that a rescue operation was ongoing.

Continue Reading

World

US imposes visa ban on Nigerians complicit in undermining recent election

Published

on

By

The United States says it has imposed visa ban on certain individuals in Nigeria for “undermining democracy” in the country.

In a statement on Wednesday, Antony Blinken, US secretary of state, said the actions were taken after it was observed that some persons were found found complicit in undermining democracy in Nigeria.

The most recent elections in Nigeria were the Ekiti and Osun governorship polls.

According to Blinken, the bans were a show of commitment and support to strengthening democracy in Nigeria.

“Today, I am announcing visa restrictions on specific individuals in Nigeria for undermining the democratic process in a recent Nigerian election,” the statement reads.

“Under Section 212(a)(3)C) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, these individuals will be found ineligible for visas to the United States under a policy to restrict visas of those believed to be responsible for, or complicit in, undermining democracy in Nigeria.”

The ban may also affect certain family members of the affected individuals.

Blinken also said the restrictions were not targeted at the general populace of the country or the government, but that it was aimed at curbing corruption.

“The visa restrictions announced today are specific to certain individuals and are not directed at the Nigerian people or the Government of Nigeria,” the statement reads.

“The decision to impose visa restrictions reflects the commitment of the United States to support Nigerian aspirations to combat corruption and strengthen democracy and the rule of law.

“Additional persons who undermine the democratic process in Nigeria—including in the lead-up to, during, and following Nigeria’s 2023 elections—may be found ineligible for U.S. visas.”

Continue Reading

World

Adani Group, owned by world’s third richest man, has been accused of account manipulation

Published

on

By

The shares of the Indian conglomerate Adani Group plummeted on Wednesday morning after activist investing company Hindenburg Research accused it of fraud.

Hindenburg Research said that Adani Group companies, which are owned by the world’s third-richest person Gautam Adani, “engaged in a brazen stock manipulation and accounting fraud scheme over the course of decades”.

The accusation: In the report released Wednesday morning, Hindenburg further warned that “even if you ignore the results of our investigation, Adani Group’s core listed companies have 85% downside merely on a fundamental basis owing to sky-high valuations.”

Adani Group responds: In a statement shared with Forbes, Jugeshinder Singh, Adani Group’s Chief Financial Officer, said the conglomerate was shocked by the Hindenburg report. He described it as “a malicious combination of selective misinformation and stale, baseless, and discredited allegations”.

Singh further noted that the timing of the report, coming days ahead of a share offer by Adani Enterprises, was intended to “undermine the Adani Group’s reputation” and damage demand for the upcoming offering. He added that the group “has always been in compliance with all laws”.

The statement added that the company was never contacted by Hindenburg and criticizes the timing of the report’s publication, saying it “clearly betrays a brazen, mala fide intention to undermine the Adani Group’s reputation with the principal objective of damaging the upcoming Follow-on Public Offering from Adani Enterprises.

Adani shares plummet: In the meantime, the Shares in seven listed Adani Group companies were down 4.6 per cent on average in afternoon trading in Mumbai, with those in flagship business Adani Enterprises falling as much as 3.7 per cent.

The declines brought the combined loss in market capitalization for Adani Group stocks to about Rs762 billion ($9.4 billion).

Continue Reading

Most Read...