Chelsea have confirmed the appointment of Mauricio Pochettino as the English Premier League (EPL) club’s new manager.
The club announced Pochettino’s appointment via a statement on Monday.
The former Tottenham coach signed a two-year contract, with the option of a further year.
He takes over from July 1, replacing Frank Lampard, the club’s departing interim manager.
“Chelsea Football Club is pleased to confirm Mauricio Pochettino will become head coach of the men’s team from the beginning of the 2023/24 season,” the statement reads.
“The Argentine will begin his new role on 1 July 2023 on a two-year contract, with a club option of a further year.”
Speaking on the appointment of the former PSG coach, Laurence Stewart and Paul Winstanley, Chelsea’s co-sporting directors, said Pochettino’s experience, commitment to development and winning were key in his selection to replace Thomas Tuchel who was sacked earlier in the just-concluded season.
“Mauricio’s experience, standards of excellence, leadership qualities and character will serve Chelsea Football Club well as we move forward,” they added.
“He is a winning coach, who has worked at the highest levels, in multiple leagues and languages. His ethos, tactical approach and commitment to development all made him the exceptional candidate.”
Chelsea finished a disappointing 11th in the 2022/23 EPL season despite the new owners spending over £500 million in the season’s transfer market.
Nigeria loses bid to host AFCON 2027
Nigeria has lost the joint bid with the Benin Republic to host the African Cup of Nations in 2027, as Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania are named joint hosts of the 2027 tournament, AFP reports.
This comes after the Minister of Sports Development Senator John Owan Enoh arrived in Egypt on Tuesday with representatives of the Nigeria Football Federation to bid to host AFCON in 2027.
We report that Nigeria’s only hosting of the AFCON was in 1980 when Christian Chukwu led the team to victory in front of enthusiastic home fans, including former President Shehu Shagari.
The joint hosting with Ghana ended in disappointment as Cameroon’s Indomitable Lions claimed the trophy at the National Stadium in Lagos.
Osimhen’s agent threatens legal action against Napoli
Roberto Calendar, the agent of Napoli striker Victor Osimhen, on Tuesday said he “reserves the right to take legal action” against the club.
Calenda’s threat came after a video mocking the player was posted and then deleted from the Serie A side’s official TikTok on Tuesday.
He released a statement on messaging platform X, formerly known as Twitter, saying the video caused “very serious damage to the player”.
“What happened today on Napoli’s official profile on the TikTok platform is not acceptable.
“A video mocking Victor was first made public and then, but now belatedly, deleted,” said Calenda.
“We reserve the right to take legal action and any other useful initiative to protect Victor.”
Napoli did not immediately respond to a request for comment outside normal business hours.
Osimhen missed a late penalty kick in a goalless draw against Bologna in Serie A on Sunday.
He was substituted as the game drew to a close and appeared to protest the decision, shouting at coach Rudi Garcia before leaving the pitch.
Later on the French manager, however, played down the situation.
Winners to get N150m as 2023/24 NPFL season kicks off September 30
The board of the Nigeria Premier Football League (NPFL) has announced a new kick-off date for the 2023/24 season.
In a statement on Monday, the board disclosed that the NPFL will commence its new season on September 30.
According to Davidson Owumi, NPFL chief operating officer, the season’s champions would receive ₦150 million, a 50 percent increase from the previous season’s prize money.
He added that the league’s board would also administer a take-off grant of N10 million to each of the 20 teams participating.
“The 20 clubs will, as was done last season, receive a take-off grant of ten Million Naira (₦10,000,000) each to smoothen your operations as the season starts,” the Owumi said.
“We are therefore expecting the Clubs to as a matter of urgency, forward their respective account details to the NPFL Secretariat for the transfer of the said amount as the season is set to commence on Saturday, September 30, 2023.”
The season was scheduled to commence on September 9, with Enyimba billed to face Bendel Insurance in the opening matchday.
But a few days to the date, the kick-off was postponed due to the annual general meeting (AGM) of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), which was held in Uyo, Akwa Ibom.
‘FG is highly insensitive, we’ll shut down services’ — NUPENG to join NLC protest
Police detain Sam Larry amid probe into Mohbad’s death
EFCC arraigns Emee Oil CEO, Florence Onojame for allegedly defrauding Access Bank of N4.4bn
Mohbad was suicidal… he surrounded himself with cultists, says Naira Marley
Eriscofood to sue customer for N5 billion over defamation post
Tribunal sacks Kaduna Governor Uba Sani, says election inconclusive
Independence Day: FG declares next week Monday public holiday
NIMET warns of 48-hour heavy rainfall across 24 states
Ex-FIRS boss Nami approved N11bn suspicious payments after his sack – Sources
AAU graduate attempts suicide over withheld results
Beans and fried plantains might be a deadly food combination, here’s why
Mohbad: I’ll return to Nigeria if my safety is guaranteed, says Naira Marley
Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.
She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others
News6 days ago
Suspect arrested for injecting Mohbad is not a registered nurse — Association
Entertainment1 week ago
Mohbad’s gains Billboard recognition after demise
Entertainment1 week ago
Mohbad: We may involve Interpol, declare suspects wanted, says police
News1 week ago
Tribunal to deliver judgment in Kano guber dispute via Zoom
Business7 days ago
Strike looms as NLC’s ultimatum expires today
Business4 days ago
Ways to access part of your pension before retirement
News1 week ago
Hackers take over X account of Trump’s son, claim father is dead
News1 week ago
Heads of anti-narcotic bodies converge on Abuja as NDLEA hosts HONLAF meeting