Connect with us

News

Abducted Zamfara girls regain freedom — after seven months in captivity

Published

on

Four girls abducted by suspected terrorists in Zamfara have regained freedom after spending seven months in captivity.

In a statement on Thursday, Sulaiman Idris, spokesperson to governor Dauda Lawal, said the terrorists kidnapped the girls along the Kaura Namoda, Birnin Magaji road in January.

Idris said the terrorists had earlier released a two-minute video showing the girls pleading with the government to intervene and rescue them from their abductors.

He said since the video was released, the government has been concerned and acted promptly to ensure the release of the girls.

“As the chief executive of Zamfara state, I want to express my utmost gratitude to Allah for the freedom of these ladies who were kidnapped seven months ago. It is indeed a moment of happiness for the government and the families of the victims,” Idris quoted the governor as saying.

“I am calling on the victims to consider what happened as a test from the Almighty Allah. Let it not in any way affect their lives, for they have a better future ahead.

“Zamfara state government will do all it takes to ensure that the rescued victims receive the necessary medical attention and provide all their needs.

“My government is determined to do whatever it takes to bring an end to the menace of kidnapping and banditry in our dear state. It is a collective responsibility; we must cooperate and always provide security with relevant information.”

The spokesperson added that the governor assured that the girls would be fully incorporated into society.

According to the statement, Nuhu Umar, director of the Department of State Service (DSS) in the state, handed over the girls to the governor to be reunited with their families.

“On the 15th of January, 2023 four ladies were kidnapped by the bandits. The kidnapped victims regained freedom through government intervention,” Umar said.

“The victims are Jamila Yahaya Isa; Aisha Yahaya Isa; Ummulkhairi Musa and Ummulkhairi Sani Umar. I am officially handing them over to the governor of Zamfara state.”

News

15 persons injured as BRT bus, truck collide in Lagos

Published

on

By

Fifteen people were injured in a road accident that involved three vehicles, including a BRT bus, at the Ojota bridge in Lagos.

Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, the permanent secretary at the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LESEMA), said in a statement on Friday that there were no casualties in the accident.

Oke-Osanyintolu noted that the accident involved a BRT bus, an articulated truck laden with a 40ft container, and an 18-seater commercial bus.

“The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, today received distress calls via the state’s toll-free emergency numbers 767/112 regarding a multiple road traffic accident at the abovementioned address,” the statement reads.

“Upon arrival at the scene, it was discovered that a BRT bus, registration number EXY-167XY, an articulated truck, registration number unknown, laden with a 40ft container, and an 18-seater commercial bus, registration number JJJ-439YG, were involved in an accident at the aforementioned location.

“Investigations by the agency’s LRT revealed that the articulated truck, while heading inward Ketu, suddenly lost control on motion, skidded off its lane, and collided with a BRT bus headed inward Ojota from the opposite direction.

The BRT subsequently skidded off its lane into the service lane and collided with the yellow commercial bus.”

“The BRT bus suffered significant damage to the front and rear ends. The tractor head of the truck was also damaged.

Fifteen people were injured. No critical injuries were sustained. No fatalities were recorded.

“The injured victims were transported to nearby hospitals for treatment, while four of the victims were attended to by the Agency’s Pre-Hospital Care Team alongside LASAMBUS at the incident scene. The road has been set free for vehicular activities.”

Continue Reading

News

Katsina Hisbah shuts New Palace Hotel for lodging underage girls

Published

on

By

The Katsina State Hisbah Board has ordered the immediate closure of New Palace Hotel, for allegedly lodging underaged girls.

Speaking with NAN, on Friday, Aminu Usman, the Hisbah commander general in the state, said the hotel has, by its action, violated an agreement earlier reached with hoteliers across the state.

He said during a collaborative meeting with hotel managers across the state, there was an agreement that no hotel would accommodate underage children.

“The hotel violated the board’s regulations by allowing underage girls to stay at the premises,” the Hisbah commander said.

“The board discovered that two underage girls were lodged in the same room during a recent inspection, which contravenes the hisbah laws.

“This is the second time such an offence was committed at the New Palace Hotel, inspite of previous warnings by the board and a promise by the hotel’s management to stop such incidents.

“Due to the hotel’s failure to comply with the board’s regulations and meet the stipulated conditions, we have decided to shut it down with immediate effect.

“We remain committed to enforcing reforms and instilling discipline that aligns with the religious and cultural values of the state under the rule of law to ensure lasting peace.”

On June 9, the ministry of women affairs issued a directive prohibiting underage girls from lodging in hotels.

Uju Kennedy-Ohaneye, minister of women affairs, said the move is part of the precautionary measures to halt human trafficking, especially of Nigerian girls.

The ban followed the rescue of over 10 teenage girls trafficked to Ghana.

Continue Reading

News

Security officers foil bank robbery attempt in Abuja

Published

on

By

The police and military have reportedly foiled an attempt to rob a bank in Abaji area council in the federal capital territory.

In a statement on Friday, Josephine Adeh, spokesperson of the FCT police command, said a group of about 15 men attempted to rob a First Bank branch in Abaji on Thursday.

Abaji is on the outskirts of the nation’s capital and shares a boundary with Lokoja, capital city of Kogi state.

Adeh said Benneth Igweh, FCT commissioner of police, was personally on ground to oversee the operation.

“In swift response to an armed robbery incident at First Bank PLC in Abaji on June 13, 2024, at about 5:00 PM, the FCT police, led by the commissioner of police, CP Benneth C. Igweh, psc, mni, himself, in a combined operation with the military, mobilized to scene and repelled the attack simultaneously carried out on both Abaji Divisional Police headquarters and first bank PLC in Abaji by a group of fifteen armed men who attacked with dynamites in attempt to rob the bank,” she said.

“One police operative and the gang leader were hit by a bullet during the gun duel, were rushed to the hospital, and the doctor on duty confirmed them dead, while others are still receiving treatment.

“While search operation is ongoing to apprehend fleeing suspects with bullet injuries, the commissioner of police FCT, CP Benneth C. Igweh, psc, mni, lauds the effectiveness of the combined operation and reaffirms the command’s unflinching commitment to ensuring that FCT remains inhabitable for criminals, noting that the safety of the residents of FCT is non-negotiable.”

Continue Reading

Bodex F. Hungbo, SPMIIM is a multiple award-winning Nigerian Digital Media Practitioner, Digital Strategist, PR consultant, Brand and Event Expert, Tv Presenter, Tier-A Blogger/Influencer, and a top cobbler in Nigeria.

She has widespread experiences across different professions and skills, which includes experiences in; Marketing, Media, Broadcasting, Brand and Event Management, Administration and Management with prior stints at MTN, NAPIMS-NNPC, GLOBAL FLEET OIL AND GAS, LTV, Silverbird and a host of others

Most Read...