Connect with us

Sports

Madubuike, Nigerian Paralympian, gets 3-year ban for doping

Published

on

Nigeria’s Ifeanyichukwu Christian Madubuike has been banned for three years by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) for failing two drugs tests.

Following the ban, the 25-year-old will be ineligible for competition from April 23, 2021 to April 22, 2024.

“The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) has banned Para athletics athlete Ifeanyichukwu Christian Madubuike for a period of three years for committing an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV),” the statement read.

“The Nigerian returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for a Prohibited Substance in urine samples provided out-of-competition on 11 March 2021 and in-competition on 19 March 2021.

“The substance was Metenolone and its metabolites. The substance is included on the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) 2021 Prohibited List under the class S1.1 Anabolic Androgenic Steroids. As a result of his violation, Madubuike will be ineligible for competition for three years from 23 April 2021 to 22 April 2024.

“The results obtained by the athlete from the date the samples were collected will also be disqualified, with all resulting consequences, including forfeiture of any medals, points and prizes. Each athlete is strictly liable for the substances found in his or her sample.

“An ADRV occurs whenever a prohibited substance (or its metabolites or markers) is found in his or her bodily specimen, whether or not the athlete intentionally or unintentionally used a prohibited substance or was negligent or otherwise at fault. As a signatory of the World Anti-Doping Code (the WADC), the IPC remains committed to a doping-free sporting environment at all levels.

“The IPC has established the IPC Anti-Doping Code (Code) in compliance with the general principles of the WADC, including the WADC International Standards, expecting that, in the spirit of sport, it will lead the fight against doping in sport for Athletes with an impairment.”

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Terry Weeth

    May 17, 2022 7:33 am at 7:33 am

    Your style is so unique compared to many other people. Thank you for publishing when you have the opportunity,Guess I will just make this bookmarked.2

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sports

D’Tigress call on FG to reverse basketball ban

Published

on

By

D’Tigress have called on the federal government to reverse its decision to withdraw Nigeria from international basketball competitions for two years.

Last week, Sunday Dare, minister of sports and youth development, announced the ban, adding that it was part of efforts by the government to revamp the sport from the grassroots.

The development came amid the ongoing power tussle within the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF).

Reacting to the FG’s resolution on basketball via a Twitter thread on Friday, D’Tigress said they “do not agree with this ban.”

The team also said it would take “away all our future competitions, accomplishments and goals to elevate, inspire, and make Nigeria proud!”

The African champions added that they have worked hard to be “Afrobasket Champions” and will “passionately love to represent in this upcoming FIBA Women’s World Cup competition.”

“We, as the Women’s national team of Nigeria, would like to speak on the government’s recently placed two-year ban on all Nigerian Basketball International competitions,” D’Tigress wrote.

“The D’Tigress team would like to state that we do not agree with this ban. This ban is taking away all our future competitions, accomplishments and goals to elevate, inspire, and make Nigeria proud!

“We would like to be given the opportunity to play for our country that we passionately love to represent in this upcoming FIBA Women’s World Cup competition.

“We have worked very hard to be 3x Afrobasket Champions, Olympians, and now we are blessed with another opportunity to continue that representation for Nigeria.

“We want Nigerian basketball to continue to grow and succeed on every level, from the local leagues, grassroots and even on the international stage!

“We believe that all levels of Nigerian basketball can excel with the proper attention, togetherness, and organization. Our team is a testament to how successful Nigerian basketball can be and how we have been an inspiration to all Nigerian athletes across the globe.

“We wish to express our gratitude to all the coaches, medical staff, organizers, and fans. This ban not only penalizes us but you all as well. Your commitment and loyalty to our team will never go unnoticed.

“Our goal is to play and represent Nigeria proudly! We, as the Nigerian Women’s National team, plea for the reversal of the International Basketball ban for Nigeria. We hope to be heard! Thank you.”

Continue Reading

Sports

US Soccer announces equal pay for men and women teams

Published

on

By

The US men’s and women’s national soccer teams will receive equal pay under a landmark collective bargaining agreement announced by the US Soccer Federation on Wednesday.

“This is a truly historic moment. These agreements have changed the game forever here in the United States and have the potential to change the game around the world,” said US Soccer president Cindy Parlow Cone.

Continue Reading

Sports

Oshoala becomes first African woman to win golden boot in Spanish Primera Division

Published

on

By

Asisat Oshoala, Super Falcons striker, is the joint top scorer in the women’s Spanish Primera Division.

The 27-year-old Nigerian achieved the feat despite missing three months of the season due to recurring injuries.

She scored 20 goals in 19 league appearances for Barcelona Femeni and will share the award with Geyse Ferreira of Madrid CFF, who netted 20 goals in 27 appearances.

Oshoala is now the first African woman to win the highest goalscorer gong in the Spanish Primera Division since it began in 2011.

Continue Reading

Most Read...