Connect with us

Sports

Benzema to miss World Cup due to injury

Published

on

France’s hopes of successfully defending the World Cup were dealt a huge blow late on Saturday as Ballon d’Or winner, Karim Benzema, was ruled out of the tournament in Qatar with an injured left thigh.
The 34-year-old Real Madrid striker had been struggling with the injury for some time and had played less than half an hour of football in his club’s last six games before the World Cup.

On Saturday, he took part in full training for the first time since the World Cup holders gathered last week ahead of the tournament.

He was forced to withdraw from the session at the home stadium of Qatari champions Al Sadd with the injury and was taken for tests.

The French Football Federation later said in a statement that the injury “will require a recovery period of three weeks,” ruling out any prospect of him being fully fit for the tournament which finishes on December 18.

“I am extremely sad for Karim, for whom this World Cup was a major objective,” France coach, Didier Deschamps, was quoted as saying in the FFF statement.

“Despite this new blow for the France team I have full faith in my squad. We will do all we can to rise to the huge challenge that awaits us.”

The 36-year-old Olivier Giroud, is set to benefit from Benzema’s absence by coming into the France attack alongside Kylian Mbappe and Antoine Griezmann.

However, under FIFA rules Deschamps can still call up a replacement for an injured player until Monday, on the eve of their first game.

France begin their defence of the trophy on Tuesday, when they take on Australia in Al Wakrah.

They will also play Denmark and Tunisia in Group D as they aim to become the first team since Brazil in 1962 to retain the World Cup.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sports

Watch the moment Samuel Eto’o attacked a cameraman outside World Cup stadium

Published

on

By

Samuel Eto’o, the former Cameroonian footballer, has been captured attacking a cameraman outside a stadium at the ongoing FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

In the viral footage, Eto’o, who is the president of the Cameroon Football Association, could be seen leaving Stadium 974 following the conclusion of the second-round match between Brazil and Korea on Monday.

The video initially shows the 41-year-old gleefully indulging fans’ demand for selfies and snapshots.

An unknown man with a hand-held camera and microphone approaches Eto’o with some questions.

Shortly, the footage cuts to the four-time African footballer of the year becoming hostile and being held back by his entourage.

He eventually wrestles himself free from the pacifiers and charges toward the cameraman, who is now bending down.

Continue Reading

Sports

Leader Joe 1808 Foundation Launches Golf Tournament For Students

Published

on

By

A Non-profit organization, Leader Joe 1808 Foundation, says it has launched a campaign to get pupils back to school through a golf competition tagged “Golf Junior Championship: Empowering Young Minds”

Speaking to Daily Trust on the competition, founder of the Leader Joe 1808 Foundation, Joseph Onus said the aim of the tournament is to provide quality Education in Primary and Secondary schools.

He said “The Back to School projects have been carried out in FCT- Abuja, Kaduna and Sokoto with Borno state in the pipeline.

“As part of our structure, the introduction of a Junior Golf Championship program is a carefully thought out decision solely focused on continuously promoting peace and education through sports especially through the Golf Championship Scholarship programs as this will reduce the large number of out of school children and engage their minds for a better future.

“The Junior Golf Championship program is created to connect young golfers from all parts of Nigeria and beyond. Our goal is to provide youths with a premier golf experience, encourage and support their education through the provision of scholarship opportunities.”

Onus added that the championship would promote unity and build a greater understanding among golfers of different cultures and values adding that the event which would be hosted by T.Y.B. Golf Club Abuja, from December 16 to 18, 2022 will attract 120 junior golfers from 36 states including the FCT.

Continue Reading

Sports

Hospitalized football icon Pele says he’s ‘strong, with a lot of hope’

Published

on

By

Brazilian football legend Pele said on Saturday that he feels “strong, with a lot of hope” despite medical problems that have kept the 82-year-old sports icon in the hospital with a respiratory infection.

Pele, widely regarded as the greatest footballer of all time, was hospitalized earlier this week amid ongoing colon cancer treatments.

“My friends, I want to keep everyone calm and positive,” Pele said in an Instagram post. “I’m strong, with a lot of hope and I follow my treatment as usual.”

Doctors treating Pele said earlier Saturday that the Brazilian legend remained “stable,” with his condition not having deteriorated over the last day.

Pele “has had a good response to care without any worsening in the clinical picture in the last 24 hours,” doctors at Sao Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital said in a statement.

Doctors made no reference to media reports earlier on Saturday that the three-time World Cup winner was receiving end-of-life care.

Pele was admitted to hospital earlier this week for what doctors said was a “re-evaluation” of the chemotherapy he has been undergoing since surgery to remove a colon tumor in September last year.

At the ongoing World Cup in Qatar, players expressed their support for Pele.

Continue Reading

Most Read...